Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Clearing My Reading Shelves

Sometimes I'm such a waffler. I've had several books going, and I don't seem to be making any headway! This is usually a symptom of my reading cravings not being met. In the past I might've endured a book that just doesn't blow my skirt up, but in the spirit of keeping my reading fresh and myself happy in 2011, I've cleared out! I'm laying aside The Sugar Mother and will come back to it later. I'm also suspending my Harry Potter re-read. I will continue chipping away at The Woman in White.

My main read of the moment is now Atonement by Ian McEwan. I've had this book on my shelves for years and all of a sudden it started calling to me. I haven't walked past the shelves. I haven't read up on McEwan. For some reason, though, it popped into my head and won't go away.

My only experience with McEwan has been On Chesil Beach. I listened to it on audio in 2008 and instantly fell in love with it. You can read my Bibliobuffet review of it here. His language was rich, his atmosphere thick and clingy. Awesome, awesome book. And somehow I've never had more than a passing interest to read Atonement.

Today is an ice day here in Texas, so I'm home watching movies with the kids. I also finally indulged Atonement and picked it up from the shelves. I'm only on page 13, but I'm almost certain this one will grab me and suck me right on in. For all the years that I've read reviews of this book, I've managed to sidestep spoilers, and maybe my luck will hold out for a few more days.

I can't wait to see what all the hooplah (and occasional outrage) has been about.

What's been calling to you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik