Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Introducing: The Affinity Readalong

After my "Stalking Sarah Waters" post, several of you expressed an interest in a readalong of this book! So, why not?!

The Affinity Readalong will begin on Monday, March 28th. There will be two discussion installments:

Monday, March 28th, Parts 1 and 2
Monday, April 4th, Parts 3, 4, and 5

I could've split this book into more parts, but the truth of the matter is that it's not that long at 337 pages so I'm assuming many of us will read straight through. It's also something of a shot in the dark the way I'm splitting up the parts. One of the downsides of e-reading is that I can't actually flip through to see how long each section is. So, in the grand tradition of adventure, I'm guessing!

For those of you who are on the fence about reading along, here's a blurb to get you interested:

Set in and around the women's prison at Milbank in the 1870s, Affinity is an eerie and utterly compelling ghost story, a complex and intriguing literary mystery and a poignant love story with an unexpected twist in the tale.
Following the death of her father, Margaret Prior has decided to pursue some 'good work' with the lady criminals of one of London's most notorious gaols. Surrounded by prisoners, murderers and common thieves, Margaret feels herself drawn to one of the prisons more unlikely inmates – the imprisoned spiritualist – Selina Dawes. Sympathetic to the plight of this innocent-seeming girl, Margaret sees herself dispensing guidance and perhaps friendship on her visits, little expecting to find herself dabbling in a twilight world of seances, shadows, unruly spirits and unseemly passions.
Is that enough to convince you to dive in? I hope so! If you'll be participating, enter your information into Mr. Linky below...

21 comments:

  1. I am so in! This has been on my shelf for aaaagws and I'm really excited about reading it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Thanks for joining, Bex! I look forward to discussing with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might join in. I do have the book on my TBR. I will have to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embarrassing fact: I have an ARC of this novel from eleven years ago when I worked at an indie bookstore during college. I have moved the blasted thing more times than I care to count. Affinity has been with me in five states, and it's about damn time I read the thing. Thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought this book. Perfect timing! I loved Tipping the Velvet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just requested this one from the library. I've been wanting to read something by Waters for awhile now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book back in 2007/2008, but I'm thinking I might want to reread it. It was so thrilling that I read through it quickly and was BLOWN AWAY by the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I am reading Affinity right now and I wish I had put it off for a while. Since I am almost done with the book, I won't be joining but I will be following the read-along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kailana, I hope you'll join us! We'd love to have you. :)

    LOL, Carrie! I think I have some of those books that have followed me around, too. Thanks for joining us!

    GREAT!!! Thanks for joining us, Jennifer!

    Welcome aboard, Samantha! Maybe if this one goes well we can read along others of Waters' books.

    Amanda, that's good to know!!! Any endorsement like that makes me even more excited to get started.

    Yay, Jill!

    Awesome, Tammy!

    I hope you'll chime in, Misha! And I hope you're liking the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, you talked me into it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe is probably more like most likely. I've been meaning to read more Sarah Waters after I finished The Little Stranger, which just blew me away. Oh, okay, change that to count me in! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read this one and I LOVED it - hope you all enjoy it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like I need another book to read . . . but I can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for joining, Chris!

    Yay! Heather, thanks for jumping onboard!

    Glad to see your endorsement, Heather! I'm about 50 pages in and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been really wanting to jump in a read along for a while now so definitely count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Slight query. My copy doesn't have parts, just chappters headed by dates...?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oorr ignore me, i'm being totally blind! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I think I'm jumping on this one - I started reading it, then had to put it down for other commitments, so I hope I can keep up with the group on this. I'm already way behind on the Villette Read-a-Long, and only did one post on it when everyone is on post # 5. I am horrible at these, so forgive me if I'm totally lame at keeping up...! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!