Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Sunday Salon - I'm a Reading Tart

Happy lazzzyyy Sunday, y'all. Greyson has had a little bit of a cold, he's kindly passed it along to me, and I've spent the majority of my morning watching Food Network and dozing. I would really prefer to read, but staying awake has been a challenge.

I'm in the midst of several books (as I've mentioned recently). I'm wrapping up The United States of Arugula for the March 14th BookClubSandwich discussion. I had a preconceived notion that this book would be about FOOD, and it certainly is, to some extent. But it's much more about PEOPLE. Likewise, it examines food movements in the U.S. I won't give away too much since the discussion is coming up soon, but I think I could've gotten a really good feel for this book if I'd read this blurb from Powells.com first:

One day we woke up and realized that our macaroni had become pasta, that our Wonder Bread had been replaced by organic whole wheat, that sushi was fast food, and that our tomatoes were heirlooms. How did all this happen, and who made it happen? The United States of Arugula is the rollicking, revealing chronicle of how gourmet eating in America went from obscure to pervasive, thanks to the contributions of some outsized, opinionated iconoclasts who couldn't abide the status quo.
 It's taking me a bit to read this roughly 400-pager. Non-fiction always moves a little slower than fiction for me. Given that I've been reading it for a little over a week, I'm feeling a little unfaithful and tarty.  It's taking ALL I HAVE not to read Affinity until I'm done with The United States of Arugula. I'm also bound and determined to read Room before it has to go back to the library. I was on hold so long, I'd feel like an arse if I didn't read it.

Looking forward a bit more, I need to start working on my 2011 challenges. So far I'm doing the best on the E-Book Challenge. When I finish Affinity and The United States of Arugula, I'll be 1/3 of the way through the challenge on my way to 12 e-books for the year. I don't think I'll have any problem surpassing that number.

The Chunkster Challenge will likely be my biggest hurdle for the year. Given the limited free time, Chunksters make me a bit antsy. I'm gonna try, though! I have lots of chunkies on the shelves that get avoided, so I shouldn't have any shortage of material to work with.

Finally, What's in a Name 4 will take some focus!!! I need to see if I own any books that meet the requirements.

How's your Sunday? Your challenges for the year?

14 comments:

  1. The only challenge I'm really doing is my Montaigne readalong. It's going well, though I find I always put off reading the essays until Sunday night. This is why I don't do challenges, I can barely keep up with my self challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just adore your subject, you crazy reading tart. ;) Have fun reading & feel better, Andiloo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have issues with looking at all of the books that I want to read on my shelves and wishing I had time to read all of them RIGHT NOW. Which obviously isn't possible. I'm just beginning Affinity and I have high hopes. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. I remember those days when my son was young and seemed to always be passing some germ or another on to me. I hope you will get to Room soon. I can't wait to hear your thoughts about it. I finally bought a copy since I was sick of being something like #100 in the library queue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been sick recently as well. And I have no ability to read while I'm sick. Too tired. TV is about the most I can manage. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the What's in a Name 4 because usually something I'm reading anyone fits the categories. I hope you and Greyson feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gack! I didn't realize The United States of Arugula was such a chunk...better get it downloaded!

    With all the weather changes, we've all been stuffed up and swollen headed as well...nothing like a sinus headache to make reading a painful experience :(

    If you're a reading tart, I must be a reading prostitute!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better, tart! And good luck with those challenges. I am picking up a chunkster this month - Conversation in the Cathedral by Mario Vargas Llosa, and like you, have many more waiting on my shelves. Loving the sound of The United States of Arugula. Am a food snob but like to pretend that I am not so maybe this book would show me that my inclinations are in fact now mainstream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so need to start using my Nook more than I have been! I should totally join this challenge! And I have so many great ebooks already on there.

    The United States of Arugula sounds fantastic!! I'm going to have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ash, I know what you mean. I struggle with challenges, too. This year I picked one easy freebie challenge (E-Books), since there's almost no way I won't read 12 of them. I picked What's in a Name because it's sort of middle-of-the-road challenging with lots of choice built in. The Chunkster Challenge is the big mama of the challenges for me. Wouldn't be surprised if I fail that one spectacularly! lol

    LOL, thanks Nanciroo! Tarty is me.

    Samantha, I do the same thing. It's a horrible affliction, isn't it? Enjoy, Affinity! I'll be digging into it more this week. I also saw that the movie was on TV this morning. I was tempted, but I held back. :)

    Thanks, Kathleen. Greyson and I both seem to be developing a cough to go with our colds, so he's off to the doc today while I'm off to work drugged up on Sudafed and whatever else I can find in the pantry. Definitely getting to Room soon. I can see myself downloading a copy IF I can't polish it off by due date time. I don't want it to become one of those books that sits around and gathers dust (literal or digital) for years.

    Trisha, same here. I get much of my reading done when Greyson is in bed for the night, and he's been up off and on not feeling well. Last night I was so zonked I fell asleep after maybe 3 pages of Affinity. Ugg!

    Me too, Kathy. That's why I chose that one for myself. It's my medium-hard challenge since nothing I'm reading on my own seems to fit in so far this year! Ack! Will be more choosy in coming months.

    Patti the Reading Prostitute! LOL, don't worry, I won't spread that too far and wide. :) Sinus headache is me these last few days, and boy, does it suck. Arugula is a bit of a chunk, but it also has lots of footnotes I'm not reading, so that'll cut out 50 pages or so. :D

    Frances, your inclinations are totally mainstream! :) So far I've enjoyed the info about James Beard and Alice Waters the best. I won't out Alice Waters for being a big fat fake yet, but I will in my review. Ooops! ;)

    Chris, hop on the E-Book Challenge bandwagon. We'd be glad to have ya. My Nook is getting a super workout right now, and I have lots more really fabulous e-books downloaded. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to be a reading tart too :)

    I'm avoiding challenges this year aside from Carl's. Hope you guys all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll zip right through Room. It's excellent and quite the page-turner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iliana, I felt comfy with these three, and I'm certain I'll do Carl's. Other than that, I shall resist!

    Thanks, Les! So far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This year's What's in a Name challenge seems more challenging than last year, doesn't it? If you have any brainstorms, do share :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!