Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Surviving Hell Week

Every turnaround from one academic term to the next is "hell week" but this one has been particularly hellish. For starters, there was only 48 hours between one term and the next: grades to audit, academic performance, and attendance probation to calculate. And I don't even do that part! With 18 faculty to supervise my time is spent auditing syllabi for correctness, building faculty files, answering questions, auditing gradebooks, leading meetings, and assisting other program heads when possible. Oh, and helping with campus activities. Lots of activities.This week presented some HR issues that complicated things as well and sucked the life right out of me.

On top of work, Greyson started running a 102-103 fever Thursday night which turned out to be a wicked ear infection. He's so consistently happy it's hard to tell when he has something bugging him and this time was no different. He's beginning to feel better on his antibiotics, and after a few days of fever that seems to be coming down considerably and consistently.

So, yeah, reading what? I had a few minutes to dive back into books yesterday when Chuck took Little G for a stroll in the park for some fresh air. Today I hope to dive into Affinity full force in preparation for discussion on the 28th!

While my week has been largely bookless and blogless, what's shakin' in your world? What have I missed?

13 comments:

  1. I hate ear infections!!!! My youngest has gotten a few of them and the temps he gets with them are ridiculous! Hopefully this week will be better for you all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely this week will be better than last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the thought of ear infections gets me all twitchy. I used to get them regularly for like the first 12 years of my life, and I can still remember the pain. I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get an ear infection just about every year. Still. At 21. Yay! Glad to hear you carved out a little dose of reading for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first ear infection I had was during my first year of college...that experience gave me a whole other perspective when my children began having theirs :( Hope he's feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully you have a better week this week than last!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. The program I advise for has 8-week classes, but the ones I teach are 16-week sessions.

    I cannot imagine, and I'm sorry you had a crappy week. Stay well and enjoy Affinity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samantha, they are ridiculous temps. I had no idea G was sick until the temp because he's so good natured!

    Kathy, I agree. I'm holding out for awesome.

    Trisha, I've never had one! I can't believe it myself, but Chuck has had them all his life.

    Thanks, Ash. Wishing you the best with your own ear infections! Sounds painful.

    Patti, I can imagine. I felt so sorry for the little guy.

    Thanks, Kailana! I hope so too. :)

    Thanks, Picky. It's a whirlwind for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only thing shakin' here is that I started Affinity last night. Boy was I confused as to who was narrating. I had to hunt down what should have been on the back cover (but what was hiding on the inside pages) just to see who was talking to me! Sometimes it really does help to know a little bit about the book before you start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We only had 48 hours between quarters too, and it was brutal! I also moved this week, so my reading and blogging time has been non-existent too. I hope you find some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, I hope this week is better for you. I remember those ear infection days. My son went from infection to infection until we finally ended up with tubes. Hope your boy continues to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a crazy week! Ear infections are horrible. My oldest used to get them all the time as a baby. I'm glad to hear Grayson is feeling better. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, no, say it ain't so. Not both bookless and blogless?

    Hope this week was better for you.

    Here's my Sunday Salon post for this week. I hope you will stop by and
    say hello.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!