Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday's Messy Mishmash of Books

Stuff! I'm in a flurry of booklove, booklust, and bookblah! All at once! How's that for a Monday state of mind?

Booklove first. Still loving The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. It's beginning to get a wee tad darker (roundabout halfway through), and I just can't figure out what the hell her brother is up to.

Booklust! I was over at Frances's place (which always gets me into trouble) and read her review of Alan Bradley's A Red Herring Without Mustard. I'm wondering why it's taken me so darn long to try the Flavia de Luce series. Seriously!? What is wrong with me? I'll chalk it up to 2011 reading stumptitude. It's not been the most numbery of years so far. Will be attempting to get The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie from the 'brary soon.

Finally, the Bookblahs. Sadly, I don't know if I'm going to be able to stomach ROOM. I soooo want to read it, and I downloaded the audio from my 'brary using Overdrive, but I find myself in a constant state of anxious yuckery while I'm listening. Before I had Greyson, my dog Daisy was my child. I damn near refuse to read a book with animal cruelty involved. Now since I have a kiddo of my own, I have the same feeling about children in books or movies. DO NOT HURT THEM. I flat-ass refused to watch Paranormal Activity 2 because there's a dog AND a baby involved.

So for those of you who have ingested ROOM already, should I just give it up? If I have these feelings now are they only going to be intensified??? I just can't stand the idea of this cute, sweet, innocent boy TRAPPED with his mom by this crazy effer. Ugg. To Be Announced on this one.

That's what's swirling in my bookish world. Whatcha up to?

15 comments:

  1. I've read that the audio of Room is harder to take than the print. Maybe you could try the print version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm gonna have to. The young, boy-like voice is hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a mom too and I just don't think I can stomach Room at all. Good luck on that one. Visiting Frances always mean coming home with more books. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know I'm a mom. ;) And I can't take books that hurt children or dogs. But Room... Room is special. Try the print version before you completely give up on it. I think books in the first person, particularly books that have a difficult subject, can be really hard to listen to. I'm having a hard time with Lolita for that very reason! I loved Room so so so much! When have I ever steered you wrong???

    Don't answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I could have listened to Room. However, I read the printed format and thought it was outstanding. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but if I could just say one thing, it would be that it all works out and you won't have nightmares. I fell in love with the little boy and his mama and I was not upset when I finished. And... I gave it a 5/5 rating, if that tells you anything.

    OK, I just reread my review. Take a look and maybe it will help you decide. It's a fabulous book, Andi. I think you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started listening to Room today. I am about 2 hours into it.
    So far it is okay. Jack knows nothing else and yet his mother is doing the best she can or so it seems thus far. He seems very intelligent in ways for a 5 year old yet very innocent.
    Love & Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of the very few people who didn't like Room - I felt it was like reading extremely sensationalised media coverage of a horrific event - and I didn't even enjoy the writing to help compensate for the story. Soooo....I'd say no; but obviously loads of other people think it's fantastic - which isn't really any help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others - I think the print version of Room would be better for you. I'd also like to let you know that no children are harmed in Room. I think you'd find it all OK in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto what Heather said. Really, in the end I think you'll find Room worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've steered clear of Room for the very same reasons...I'm not in any hurry so I'll just wait and see what you think after you switch to the print version. I know I'm not going to listen to the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read it while pregnant! So I'm wondering if I'd have a different take on it now. It was an only ok read for me, as I wasn't all that fond of young Jack's narration. I think I was too swayed by all the media/blog coverage and was expecting a lot better in terms of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I borrow "reading stumptitude"? I think that describes what's been going on with me this year as well. It all started off so great and then what has happened to me?!

    Anyway look forward to your review of the Lemon Cake book. I still think that's such a great title.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so loving the fact that you're enjoying The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake! I heard so many different thoughts about it, that I was worried, but am stoked you are enjoying it. Hope it stays that way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Alan Bradley covers are so cute, but I wonder if this series will prove too cutesy for me. If you read it I will know...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natasha, I listened to a bit more of the audio yesterday, and I just think I'm gonna have to read the printed version. Not working!

    Heather, I appreciate that!!! I kinda figured Jack wouldn't come to a tragic end, lest the whole blogosphere might be in an uproar.

    Les, thank you for the encouragement! I'll be taking a look at your review, too.

    Pamela, I agree with you. Jack is a very interesting mix of maturity and ignorance (imposed by his situation). I'll be interested to read the printed book.

    Lyndsey, I read a book that made me feel that way: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. IT was MUCH more violent than it seems Room will be, so I'll be interested to know if I leave Room with that same feeling.

    Thanks, Jackie! Looking forward to the print. :)

    Thank you, Debi!

    Patti, cheater!!! LOL Come on and dive in with me so I have a buddy to chat with about it.

    Olduvai, it is hard to go into it with an untarnished view. SO. MUCH. HYPE! We'll see if I can pull it off.

    Iliana, feel free to borrow. I just couldn't put my situation any other way!!! :) Looking forward to reviewing Lemon Cake.

    Review coming soon Coffee and a Book Chick!!! Hint: I loved it!

    Jodie, I'll be sure to share when I finish one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!