Monday, April 11, 2011

The Reader Shuffle

After a very recent move, I find myself very low on books and OK with that. I deal with reading on a daily basis. Examples, anyone?

My class is discussing poetry today, and we've covered:
  • "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams
  • "In a Station of the Metro" by Ezra Pound
  • "my old man" by Charles Bukowski
  • "Barbie Doll" by Marge Piercy
  • "Dulce Et Decorum Est" by Wilfred Owen
  • "Jilted" and "Mad Girl's Love Song" by Sylvia Plath
The class was really onboard with "Barbie Doll" and "my old man." They seemed to have their doubts about some of the others, but I think I won them over in discussion. Now they're working on a PowerPoint over specific poems, the author's background, and some literary terms.

In other book-related life stuff, I've always wanted a literary tattoo. Ever since I discovered Contrariwise, it's been a constant search for just the right thing. Low and behold, I think it was right in front of me all the time. In Great Expectations, Estella says, "...suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but -- I hope -- into a better shape."

I would shorten it down a bit, but you get the gist. It's a lesson and the bestest literary tattoo I can imagine for me personally.
I have exactly two boxes of books at my disposal right now. After the move, much is in storage and scattered around, and I'm oddly OK with that. I've long said that I'm a bookish glutton, so if I have tons of books at my disposal, it becomes even harder than usual to choose just one to read at any given time. Limits are good. Boundaries are good. I have them in my reading right now, and additional books will be introduced slowly and in limited supply.

Even though I read to some extent every day and have dealings with the written word for a living, I haven't been reading. I miss it to the bottom of my little teensy toes. Here's praying the urge and peace of mind come back soon.

Now, instead of assuring me that my reading mojo will return, just tell me what you're reading. I want to live vicariously! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik