Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tournament of Books Reading Challenge

Hey y'all!!! I love a personal reading challenge, so I think I'll personally challenge myself. My personal reading challenge throughout the remainder of the year is to read the 2011 Morning News Tournament of Books contenders!!!

For some readerly bloggerly types this was probably a challenge DURING the Tournament of Books, but for a slow-as-mole-asses reader such as myself, it's a challenge that will likely take the rest of 2011.

I had such fun watching the unfolding of this year's Tournament, I can't leave it behind just yet. I even printed a copy of the Tournament poster brackets and put it on my office door when the contest was going on. Several in my office called me a huge nerd, but they also followed the Tournament from then on, so BOO-YAH!!!

The majority of these books were already on my Lust List, and some have gone on to win really big prizes since the Tournament.

Here's the illustrious list:
  • The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (in progress)
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
  • Next by James Hynes
  • So Much for That by Lionel Shriver
  • Nox by Anne Carson
  • Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
  • The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson
  • Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart
  • Bad Marie by Marcy Dermansky
  • Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon
  • Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
  • Kapitoil by Teddy Wayne
  • Room by Emma Donoghue
  • Bloodroot by Amy Greene
  • Model Home by Eric Puchner
  • Savages by Don Winslow
And I hereby forbid myself to slave and stall over sucky books, so if I hate any of these, I will not hesitate to toss.

If anyone wants to join me, please do! I will likely need some moral support at some point. However, since I'm a sucky leader of groups I will not provide any prizes, giveaways, or other stuff. The prize is knowing I finished more than five books for the year. And I'm only sort of kidding!

10 comments:

  1. Have fun with the challenge. You've got some good books to choose from there and many of them are on my own TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a challenge! I don't expect many of these titles will let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two thumbs up for Bloodroot. And holler if and when you get to Franzen...I have Freedom sitting on the shelf. For some reason, that one is feeling like a challenge all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd just like to say: Freedom is FANTABULOUS. I loved the Corrections and I loved this one too. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, funny. I just got The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake from the library, on your recommendation. Where did I see that? You must have said something about it, but I'm too weak to look (headache day, blecch). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun! I loved A Visit from the Goon Squad so I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading Savages (love love love Don Winslow) but I checked it out from the library and, well, the newborn got in the way of reading it and I had to return it. Looking forward to tackling it again soon, though! Good luck on your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! There are definitely some more of these I want to read. Will I get to them all? Probably not, but I am planning ahead next year and planning to devote the first three months of the year to reading the best of 2011 lists and the Tournament of Books finalists, so I enjoy the tournament even more next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen, they do look great, don't they?? Fun fun!

    I hope not, Brenna! Time will tell.

    Jill, I haven't read Franzen at all, not even when he made a dick of himself about Oprah! Will definitely let you know when I tackle that one.

    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jen! I'm nervous about Franzen!

    Thanks, Natasha!

    I hope the headache cleared up for you right quick, Nancy! I'm in the middle o'Lemon Cake and can't wait to plow through the rest.

    Kim, I'm really excited to read it. I have another of Egan's books on my shelf waiting for me, too.

    Courtney, newborns have a way of doing that. As do one-year-olds, I'm finding!

    Carrie, I plan to plan better next year as well. I would love to read more as the tournament is underway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!