Thursday, May 05, 2011

The Butt Book and Charlie the Ranch Dog!

A while back I read a review of Artie Bennett's picture book, The Butt Book, over at Bookfoolery and Babble and was instantly interested!!!

What's not great about butts? Cute lil illustrated ones, at that! After my comments on Nancy's blog, the author was kind enough to send a signed copy in exchange for an honest review.

I can honestly say it's delightful! The book explains what our butts are for, their various shapes -- animals have 'em, humans have 'em. Everyone has one!

In addition to the funny little rhymes about butts, I was totally taken  by the illustrations. They have a woodcut look to them with heavy, scratchy lines, and wild colors. Here's an example:


A big round of applause for Mike Lester, the illustrator!

Love it! I'm so glad to have a copy of The Butt Book. The older kids have loved it (including Chuck), and I'm sure Greyson will love it in good time. The only downside? If you don't want your child to use the word "butt" this one is certainly not for you.

Just yesterday I happened to receive a second picture book worth reviewing (Thanks, HarperCollins!): Charlie the Ranch Dog, by none other than Ree Drummond of the wildly popular blog, The Pioneer Woman and illustrated by Diane deGroat.


Charlie the Ranch Dog is downright adorable! Drummond does a perfect job capturing the funky dog personality. Charlie thinks himself quite a hard worker. He scares cows from the yard, helps his mom in her garden, and generally keeps an eye on things so they run smoothly. The real deal: Charlie is usually dozing while Suzie does the work. But don't tell Charlie!!!

This picture book had the warmth and charm of Drummond herself, and it's definitely going into the permanent collection! If you'd like to meet the real Charlie, watch the video below...

7 comments:

  1. My son would have adored The Butt Book, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the Butt Book! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Butt Book sounds like so much fun!

    I read Drummond's blog on a daily basis and I LOVE Charlie. He cracks me up. I have always wanted a Basset, and ever since she got him as a puppy, I have been whining to anyone who'll listen about how much I want one...one day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved The Butt Book!! I'm so glad you got a chance to review it. The Pioneer Woman makes me too homesick to bear. I drop in on her blog, now and then, simply because it's wonderful. But, I can only stand so much of it and then I start to pout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I can't help but want to read about Charlie -- like so many others, I adore The Pioneer Woman (and once stood in line for four hours to meet her!) and gobble up anything about her! No little ones in my family to buy this one for, but I guess I could sneak a copy for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, it's great! So cute and full of cheeks. :)

    Trisha, it's really fun. One of the most laughable picture books I've read in a while.

    Allie, it is! Charlie is adorable. I don't read her blog enough, but I need to step it up!

    Me too, Nancy!! And I can imagine she does make you homesick.

    Meg, you should! Take a few mins in the bookstore and gobble it up! You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you happen to read the article on Ree D. in The New Yorker? I hadn't heard of her before this piece, and I wasn't impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!