Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Kitchen Daughter Meets BookClubSandwich

It's that time again! There's been a'votin' going on. The tally is in, and the readers have chosen Jael McHenry's novel, The Kitchen Daughter, for the next BookClubSandwich discussion.

Watch Sophisticated Dorkiness, Kim's blog, for the announcement of the discussion date.

I'm really excited to be reading this novel. First off, I adore the cover. Is it a nightie? Is it a netsack full of peppers? Whatever--it's pretty! Besides that, the premise is great:

“After the unexpected death of her parents, painfully shy and sheltered 26-year-old Ginny Selvaggio seeks comfort in cooking from family recipes. But the rich, peppery scent of her Nonna’s soup draws an unexpected visitor into the kitchen: the ghost of Nonna herself, dead for twenty years, who appears with a cryptic warning (“do no let her…”) before vanishing like steam from a cooling dish. … The more [Ginny] learns, the more she realizes the keys to these riddles lie with the dead, and there’s only one way to get answers: cook from dead people’s recipes, raise their ghosts, and ask them.”

Ha! Right? So excited. I hope you'll join us for discussion!



2 comments:

  1. Woot woot!! Such a good book, I loved every second of it and cried my eyes out in some sections. Granted, I was on a six day business trip in Memphis a few weeks ago and I was also missing home...so I mighta been a tad softer than I normally am. Oh, who am I kidding? The book is awesome, it tugged on my heartstrings, and I bawled. Which to me means it's an awesome book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soooo excited about this one, Natalie!!! If it makes me cry, it's a 100% winner. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!