Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Gleefully DNFing

Happy Sunday, my bloggy lovelies. It's mid-day on Sunday, and I'm parked at Barnes & Noble for my weekly mama time. I actually spent the majority of the morning grading essays, and now that that's done, I have a few minutes left to blog and read a few pages.

It's been quite the eventful week in my reading life. I finished The Summer Without Men and dove into Jonathan Franzen's Freedom for my personal Tournament of Books reading challenge. Shortly after, roundabout page 55, I turned tail and ran. OH. MY. GOD.  I have a whole post coming up on DNFs, but I just have to say, SO not my cup of tea. More like a cup of vile, slimy refuse. Franzen and I are not friends. Not at all. I realize this has been an "IT" book of gargantuan proportions, but much like the last "it" book that made me want to projective vomit (The Lovely Bones), I don't feel even the slightest twinge of guilt for gleefully DNFing on this occasion.


Couldn't resist. It's just too adorably tongue-in-cheek.

On a happier note, after I finished cleansing and resurfacing my eyeballs to get over Freedom, I downloaded Sarah Addison Allen's The Peach Keeper. I'm on page 73 and it's a short book, so if I don't finish it today, it'll probably be tomorrow. Smooth sailing as always with Allen. I'm already eyeing my shelves to see what I'd like to try next. It's a toss-up between my remaining library checkouts (By Nightfall, C) and some of the goodies languishing on my shelves and my Nook.

The town where I live is reading Jamie Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for it's OneCommunity project this year. I just happen to have downloaded it from Kobo a while back, so it's waiting patiently for me. I would also like to finish Affinity, by Sarah Waters. I was loving it before life interrupted a couple months ago.

Annnd that's about it. A lazy Sunday is the way I like it. After I snag a bit o'reading time, I'm headed home to hang out with Chuck and the Rockets. We're planning a trip to the park later this afternoon complete with grilling.

I hope everyone is relaxed with a book today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik