Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Reading - Dipping and Diving

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books!


It IS Monday! Oh, Monday. Please be a good one. I have a few hours at work this morning to free-work and then the meetings kick in around 1pm. I'm hoping I can squeeze in at least a couple of minutes of reading at "lunch" today. We'll see.

Finished last week: Goon Squad, yadda yadda

Reading now: I'm dipping and diving (thus, the title). When I was browsing at the library last week, I picked up my next choice for my personal Tournament of Books challenge: Bloodroot, by Amy Greene. I've only read about 20 pages, and I like it so far, but my motivation to actually pick it up seems low and slow.

   

I also happened to spot Louise Erdrich's Shadow Tag while I was browsing and remembered Wendy's review over at her CaribousMom blog. I've only read a few pages of this one, too, but in that short span of pages I'm reminded of the tension in one of my favorite novels, What I Loved, by Siri Hustvedt. The subject matter is quite different, and we'll see how it plays out, but so far that's the impression I have up front. Very promising indeedio.

Finally, I am bound and determined to finish the graphic novel, An Elegy for Amelia Johnson, by Andrew Roslan, this week. The story is fine, but the illustrations are not grabbing me at this point. While I'm not opposed to black and white illustrations these seem oversimplified and too cartoony and don't quite jive with the tone of the book. It's about Amelia Johnson's struggle with cancer, and her request as she's nearing death, that her two best friends (meeting for the first time) make a road trip to meet some of her favorite people and visit her favorite places.
And that's what I'm reading. What about you?

17 comments:

  1. I'm finishing up my re-read of Larry Niven's novel A World Out of Time, trying to complete the two short story collections I am 3/4 of the way through: Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes and Jonathan Strahan's Eclipse Four.

    Then I plan on starting Dune for the group read which begins Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm almost finished with Think of a Number, which is getting very exciting! I'll probably start in on Before I Go To Sleep next. Love me some thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do hope you'll love Erdrich's book! There is a lot of tension - and it is a rather disturbing novel...but I was glued to it and couldn't stop reading. Hope you'll find it as compelling as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read a graphic novel, best of luck. Enjoy your week and happy reading.
    My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interested in what you think of Shadowtag! Just finished reading Stealing Buddhas Dinner, a memoir of a Vietnamese girl who emigrated to the USA. I just started Silver Sparrow, a story about a girl whose father is a bigamist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carl, you're a short story reading machine! I just got a new collection from NetGalley, and I can't wait to start on it. I'm also getting ready to gear up to read Orange Prize winners, longlisters, and shortlisters in July.

    Keep up the good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les, I haven't read a thriller in a long time! Gothicky, yes, pure thriller, no. They scare me. I have to read with the house lights on for sure. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Wendy! I've been in a bit of a reader slump for the last few days, but I'm gonna spend my lunch hour having some quality time with ShadowTag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Jennifer! Can I recommend? Can I? Can I? If you're going to try a graphic novel read Maus by Art Spiegelman, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, or American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. All wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always enjoyed short stories, but over the last couple of years my consumption of them has increased tremendously. I saw a review of a short story collection by Fitzgerald over on Bellezza's site the other day that has me interested in trying out his short fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elisabeth, I've been increasingly interested in books dealing with bigamy lately, so I will be looking into Silver Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carl, I finally realized my interest in short stories from teaching. Mostly what I have time for in my Intro to Lit classes is short fiction, so I don't know why I fought it for so long! I haven't read a ton of Fitzgerald's fiction, but I have several of his collections. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't either, other than Gatsby, but this one looks interesting:

    http://www.dolcebellezza.net/2011/06/flappers-and-philosophers-by-f-scott.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope your Monday was good to you and that you fit in some reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The idea for the graphic novel sounds interesting, but too bad it isn't really grabbing you...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!