Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Reading - Dipping and Diving

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books!


It IS Monday! Oh, Monday. Please be a good one. I have a few hours at work this morning to free-work and then the meetings kick in around 1pm. I'm hoping I can squeeze in at least a couple of minutes of reading at "lunch" today. We'll see.

Finished last week: Goon Squad, yadda yadda

Reading now: I'm dipping and diving (thus, the title). When I was browsing at the library last week, I picked up my next choice for my personal Tournament of Books challenge: Bloodroot, by Amy Greene. I've only read about 20 pages, and I like it so far, but my motivation to actually pick it up seems low and slow.

   

I also happened to spot Louise Erdrich's Shadow Tag while I was browsing and remembered Wendy's review over at her CaribousMom blog. I've only read a few pages of this one, too, but in that short span of pages I'm reminded of the tension in one of my favorite novels, What I Loved, by Siri Hustvedt. The subject matter is quite different, and we'll see how it plays out, but so far that's the impression I have up front. Very promising indeedio.

Finally, I am bound and determined to finish the graphic novel, An Elegy for Amelia Johnson, by Andrew Roslan, this week. The story is fine, but the illustrations are not grabbing me at this point. While I'm not opposed to black and white illustrations these seem oversimplified and too cartoony and don't quite jive with the tone of the book. It's about Amelia Johnson's struggle with cancer, and her request as she's nearing death, that her two best friends (meeting for the first time) make a road trip to meet some of her favorite people and visit her favorite places.
And that's what I'm reading. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik