Monday, June 20, 2011

Post-Vacation Monday Reading

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books!

My week of vacation is over, and I got absolutely nothing accomplished. I mentioned earlier that Greyson passed along some tropical daycare super-virus to the whole family on the 11th, and a week later I'm still reeling and sporadically ill. Everyone else seems to be fine -- so I suppose I'm just the lucky one with the botched immune system. *le sigh*

Amidst all the illness, I still managed to scrounge out some reading time. I finished ROOM, and you've probably already seen that review. I had expected to whip through several other books on my vacation, but like so many other plans, that one went down the toilet. Pun totally intended.

I spent a portion of Friday at THE BEST INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE IN THE LAND. a Real Bookstore in Fairview/Allen, TX. I had no idea what a beautiful, pristine, helpful, awesome, indie I had right down the road from my house! I'll do a whole post on their supreme fabulousness later in the week, so keep an eye out.


I mention the store now because it prompted the only completed reading experience I've had since ROOM. While Chuck was browsing the graphic novels section for some artistic inspiration, he found The Littlest Bitch by David Quinn, Michael Davis, and Devon Devereaux. It's clearly marked a "not for children children's book" so there's no chance anyone can poo-poo it for being a bad influence. I'm also preparing a review post of this one, and the smash Go the F*CK to Sleep, for later in the week.

I'm currently reading Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize-winning, A Visit from the Goon Squad. I had some serious doubts about its awesomeness when I first began, but I'm coming around a little bit. I spent a few hours reading at Barnes and Noble yesterday, and with a little extended time to sit and ponder, it's not so bad. I don't think it'll even remotely touch my love of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, it's Tournament of Books buddy, but we shall see.

I'm also in the middle of a graphic novel from NetGalley, An Elegy for Amelia Johnson. So far it's so-so.

So what are you reading? Greedy booknuts need to know!

25 comments:

  1. I have A Visit From the Goon Squad sitting on my shelves waiting to be read. Happy reading and enjoy your week.
    My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-44.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm nearly finished with Haruki Murakami's short story collection, The Elephant Vanishes.

    I also started a re-read of the Larry Niven classic, A World Out of Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you're starting to feel better. I look forward to your review of Go the F*ck to Sleep. My best friend is being induced on Saturday and she already has two toddlers, so I ordered a copy of it for her. I thought it was especially apt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope you shake that stuff off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel all the way better soon, Estella! How awful to get ill when you're having your vacation.

    I've heard so much about Goon Squad but I'm a little worried that I won't like it, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you need a sequel to Go the F*** to Sleep...Get the F*** Well. :-D

    I just finished The Borrower. I've got a few non-fiction reads going, but nothing that's knocking my socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Room sounded so disturbing that I've been avoiding it-now I'll have to read your review to see what you thought. Read and loved State of Wonder last week, and halfway through a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked The Goon Squad but found it a little confusing on audio. I am reading The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken, Stealing Buddhas Dinner by Bich Minn Nguyen and listening to Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson. All are good and very different from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andi, I was at The Real Bookstore last week when I was visiting my son in Frisco. It's a great store, and I was pleasantly surprised to see so much invested in a brand new Indy bookstore. Long live Real Books and Real Bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it. It's a bit of a slog for me right now, sadly.

    Carl, I do loooove me some Murakami! How are the short stories?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lola, that is apt! I cannot imagine having more than one little one on my hands at once. I fear I do not have the patience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kathy! Me too. It's been horrible. Haven't been this sick for this long in many years. Didn't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leeswammes! Thanks for dropping in. So far Goon Squad is a bit of a slog in parts. There are sections that I really love and then I move on to another chapter and find myself bored to tears. Blarg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill, I do need to Get the F*ck Well. Feeling a little better today, so we'll see if it lasts. Can't wait to be done with Goon Squad some I can read something more...engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bibliophiliac, ROOM was quite intimidating but it was worth it in the end. Cannot WAIT to read State of Wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elisabeth, I haven't read any Joshilyn Jackson in a while, and I tend to just love her. Her blog used to be one of my favorites. In fact, I'm not sure why I don't read it anymore. Hmmphf!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen, Becca!!! You'll have to let me know the next time you're in town and we can grab a coffee or a cupcake at A Real Bookstore. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really enjoying the book thus far. After the Quake remains my favorite short story collection of his (out of the three I'll have read when finishing this), but each story in this book has held my attention to the very last page. Murakami employs plenty of his trademark vague endings here, but he is one of the few authors that can do that and not leave me frustrated or wanting more. He captures moments of time so beautifully and even when they veer into fantasy they somehow how manage to keep their authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you feel 100% soon, Andi. Today I had school so I'm just reading my textbook. :-) Maybe I'll pick up something for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been wanting to explore more graphic novels. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Feel better!

    LOL on the not for children children's book. Might be getting this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Murakami is pretty unique in that he nevers leaves me wanting either. And from what I hear and read it sounds like he has that same effect on many of us who might feel let down by any other author under the same circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Natasha! Whatcha studying?? I need to be grading papers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Natalie, the "not for children children's book" trend is shaping up quite nicely! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!