Monday, June 20, 2011

Post-Vacation Monday Reading

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books!

My week of vacation is over, and I got absolutely nothing accomplished. I mentioned earlier that Greyson passed along some tropical daycare super-virus to the whole family on the 11th, and a week later I'm still reeling and sporadically ill. Everyone else seems to be fine -- so I suppose I'm just the lucky one with the botched immune system. *le sigh*

Amidst all the illness, I still managed to scrounge out some reading time. I finished ROOM, and you've probably already seen that review. I had expected to whip through several other books on my vacation, but like so many other plans, that one went down the toilet. Pun totally intended.

I spent a portion of Friday at THE BEST INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE IN THE LAND. a Real Bookstore in Fairview/Allen, TX. I had no idea what a beautiful, pristine, helpful, awesome, indie I had right down the road from my house! I'll do a whole post on their supreme fabulousness later in the week, so keep an eye out.


I mention the store now because it prompted the only completed reading experience I've had since ROOM. While Chuck was browsing the graphic novels section for some artistic inspiration, he found The Littlest Bitch by David Quinn, Michael Davis, and Devon Devereaux. It's clearly marked a "not for children children's book" so there's no chance anyone can poo-poo it for being a bad influence. I'm also preparing a review post of this one, and the smash Go the F*CK to Sleep, for later in the week.

I'm currently reading Jennifer Egan's Pulitzer Prize-winning, A Visit from the Goon Squad. I had some serious doubts about its awesomeness when I first began, but I'm coming around a little bit. I spent a few hours reading at Barnes and Noble yesterday, and with a little extended time to sit and ponder, it's not so bad. I don't think it'll even remotely touch my love of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, it's Tournament of Books buddy, but we shall see.

I'm also in the middle of a graphic novel from NetGalley, An Elegy for Amelia Johnson. So far it's so-so.

So what are you reading? Greedy booknuts need to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik