Saturday, June 04, 2011

Snively Saturday and Tag Line Switcheroos

Happy frackin' Saturday. Scheduled a mandatory faculty meeting this morning and 3 of 10 showed up. I'm just going to whine now, thankyouverymuch. I'll spare y'all though and go home and whine to Chuck. By the pool. With a beer.

But before I head home to my laptopless condo, I thought I'd do a little Saturday posting.

I announced a while ago that I'm making a concerted effort to read more literary fiction this year with my personal Tournament of Books reading challenge, and I thought it was time for a new tagline to reflect my goal. My taglines started with "A baby in one hand and a book in the other," after Greyson's birth,  I moved on to a quote from Great Expectations, and now I've arrived at my favorite so far...

"Butchering literary fiction one novel at a time..."

Because, let's face it, I'm picky, fickle, kind of outspoken and sassy, and generally a smartass. Some lit fiction and I get along just fine, and sometimes I want to skewer the book AND/OR the author, too. *coughFREEDOMcough*

New on my stacks and prime for some snuggling or some skewering are...


Everything Beautiful Began After by Simon van Booy and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I loooove me some Simon Van Booy ever since the Estella's Revenge E-Zine days when I first encountered his short story collection, The Secret Lives of People in Love. This is his first novel, and I'm really pulling for more snuggle and less skewer. I have high hopes! I'll be reading this one quickly since the e-galley expires on 7/5/11.

The other book is Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. I actually haven't gotten the NetGalley thumbs up on this one yet, but I'm doing a little e-galley dance that it's approved soon. It looks de-lic-ious.

I hope you're all having a great weekend. My laptop will be back in my itchy little bloggy hands this afternoon or tomorrow, so expect some Tweeting and some Tumbling. I'm having social network DTs.

14 comments:

  1. Ugh. All that trouble and only three people show up! At least you got some computer tile in. :-)

    I lile your new tagline. Mine would be something along the limestone of "one sentence at a time." Between work and baby I am finding reading time scarce. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Saturday being ruined by other people's laziness! I like the new tagline though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. Sorry about your meeting. LOVE the new tag line. I was just pondering the fact that I would probably have missed out on the joy of Simon (or, at least, the introduction to his work would have been much delayed) if not for Estella e-zine, so thank you for that. Cannot wait to get my mitts on his novel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tag line is priceless! I love it. Also, oooohhh Simon van Booy :) I hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Just in case you didn't see already, I'm shutting down The Zen Leaf. I'm contacting all the people who signed up for the 52-52-52 Challenge to let them know. I'm still continuing on with the challenge, but it will be at my tumblr account (http://agignac.tumblr.com) rather than at The Zen Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skewering lit fiction one book at a time has a certain appeal, too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read your thoughts on The Night Circus. It's received so much buzz but if you say it's good, I'll add it to my tbr list.

    I can't believe only 3 out of 10 arrived! Tomorrow they'll ask what happened at the meeting. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, no kidding! I was prettyyyy irked. And thank you re: new tagline. I like your idea as well! The reading time does improve a great deal. I've only read like 10 books this year, so it's not all better, but I'm balancing a bit more.

    Yvann, thanks! Annoyed, but it'll be OK. Vacation week after next! Woot!

    Nancyroo, I'll let ya know how it goes! I just downloaded the novel and the e-galley expires on July 5th so I've gotta jump on it. And thank you re: tagline!

    Amy, "ooooh" is right! Isn't he a cutie? And listening to him read -- awesome accent!

    Thanks, Amanda! I already added you to my Tumblr feed and I'll be there!

    Jill, I agree. And I'm thinking of instituting a 2-rating system: "snuggle" or "skewer"!

    Natasha, still waiting on the thumbs up from NetGAlley and hoping!!! We'll see if I get lucky with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Night Circus does look delicious. I know you love the cover for the colors, I don't even have to ask. I love it for the colors too. So bold and pretty!

    Sorry about the meeting and the new tagline? SO. YOU. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Heather! That cover is rather "me" eh? Now if NetGalley publicist with no name would just say YES! And I'm thinking of tweaking the tagline a little bit to go along with what Jill said, "Skewering literary fiction one novel at a time." Goes with my new "snuggle or skewer" rating system!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No problem, Yvann! I'll be back. Added you to my feed reader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And we love you for all your honest butchery (butchering?)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Meg! I prefer Butchery. Though I think I've officially sided with "skewery".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!