Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Unbridled Buying!!!

It's been an exciting weekend in books. I finished up Simon Van Booy's first novel on Friday night, and I'll post a review of it tomorrow. Now I'm waffling between books trying to decide exactly what's going to stick. I'm about 50 pages into Jael McHenry's The Kitchen Daughter, and while it's OK, it's not exactly blowing my skirt up. I also got my hold copy of ROOM from the library, but I haven't decided if I'm in the mood for it either.

Thursday night, when I was messing around in my Google Reader, I saw a post from Vasilly and was reminded of Unbridled Books' special e-book offer: 25 e-books on sale for 25 cents each. After looking through the list of participating indie bookstores,  I took the opportunity to register for an account at a local indie, A Real Bookstore in Fairview, TX. I had no idea it existed until I decided to take advantage of the promo, and now I can't wait to visit in person!

I found some great books in the Unbridled list, and snatched up five books for $1.35 (including tax). A steal, I tell you!


Here we go:

Breath and Bones by Susann Cokal - In 1884, Famke Summerfugl is ousted from her convent in Denmark for . . . sensuousness and pulled from servitude by a second-rate painter named Albert Castle. Loving to be looked at, and able to stand perfectly still without shivering, Famke is the ideal artist's model. When Albert takes his eight-foot masterpiece and leaves his model behind, Famke sets out over the Atlantic, convinced that she is his muse. Following Mirabilis, her highly acclaimed debut, Susann Cokal blends pre-Raphaelite painting, American brothels, Utahan polygamists, a bit of cross-dressing, a dynamite-wielding labor movement, one California millionaire, and the invention of electircal sexual stimulation (as treatment for consumption) into a comic novel that gallops across the American West.

Captivity by Deborah Noyes - The background for this love story is the strange, true tale of the Fox Sisters, the enigmatic family of young women who, in upstate New York in 1848, by pretending to speak with the dead unwittingly (but artfully) gave birth to a religious movement that touched two continents: The American Spiritualists. But the core of this lyrical novel is the tragedy of Clara Gill, a reclusive woman of a certain age who has isolated herself following the scandalous loss of her beautiful young lover. Clara's reluctant admission that the Fox Sisters might show her a way to live with love once more carries the reader into what it means to hope in the darkness.

The Good Doctor Guillotin by Marc Estrin - The Good Doctor Guillotin follows five characters to a common destination—the scaffold at the first guillotining of the French Revolution:



Here we go...

Panopticon by David Bajo - As the California borderland newspaper where they work prepares to close, three reporters are oddly given assignments to return to stories they've covered beforeeach one surprisingly personal. The first assignment takes reporter Aaron Klinsman and photographer Rita Valdez to an abandoned motel room where the mirrors are draped with towels, bits of black tape cover the doorknobs, and the perfect trace of a woman's body is imprinted on the bed sheets. From this sexually charged beginning on land his family used to own Klinsman, Rita, and their colleague, Oscar Medem understand that they are supposed to uncover something. They just don't know what.

Rain Village by Carolyn Turgeon - Young Tessa is a diminutive girl, far too small for farm work, and the object of ridicule by both her own family and the other children in their isolated Midwestern community. Her father seems to believe in nothing beyond his crops, certainly not education for his misfit daughter. When a mysterious, entrancing librarian comes to town, full of fabulous stories, earthy wisdom and potions for the lovelorn, she takes Tessa under her wing, teaching her to read and to believe in herself — and a whole new magical world of possibilities opens up.
Have you read any of these? Something else from Unbridled?? They all sound great, so I'm having an even harder time choosing what to read next!

18 comments:

  1. My local indie isn't going to sell e-books. Those books for a quarter are quite a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captivity totally caught my eye as well! My library has it though. ;) I might pick up a copy of Rain Village: very tempting and one my library doesn't have. I just worry about the security of inputting my debit card number! (V irrational, I know.)

    Also, I've read a few Unbridled novels, and they've been great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .25 per book! dang!! My "local" indie is an hour and a half away :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have not read any of these but at 25 cents how can you go wrong? There is always the delete option for those that do not work out. But hopefully you love them all during this academic break. At least I hope you are on break now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so disappointed that we couldn't get this offer! There were some books, including Captivity and the Cokal that I would definitely have bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, bummer! If you're into e-boosk, that is. They were quite a steal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva, I didn't even think to check if my library has these. It takes so much planning to actually read what I check out of the library. Just because I'm finicky and a uber-moody reader. I didn't mind shelling out a quarter each to carr them around on my Nook. :) Good to know you've had good luck with Unbridled! I'm looking forward to trying their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a bummer, Patti! I thought there weren't any/many indies around me, so finding this one roughly 15 mins away was quite a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Frances! No break, sadly. Our college operates all year, so I'm still at work. BUT, I happen to have this week off. The first week of vacation I've taken in, oh, 10 years?! Crazy! I can't wait to lounge. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that, Marg! I'm just glad someone reminded me, or I probably would've sailed through the weekend and forgotten to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw crap! I totally forgot to get my books from unbridled!! I really wanted to get the Cokal book!! Have you read Mirabilis by her? It's one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris, I haven't read anything by her, but I'll check out Mirabilis. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything I've read by Unbridled was fabulous. I was excited to see another Timothy Schaffert in the list, because I really liked his last book - The Coffins of Little Hope. As you know, I got all 25 and I have absolutely NO IDEA where to start. I know all 25 are coming to the beach with me though! I love my Nook so much.

    And thanks Chris, I'd totally forgotten I have Mirabilis. I guess I'd better read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a bargain! I'm glad you're taking advantage of those. I've had great luck with Unbridled books in the past. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a bargain! I totally missed out. darn. Looks like you got some great ones. I think I've had Rain Village on my wish list for a couple of years now! haha....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, such a bargain. Based on the descriptions, you got some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andi, I think The Real Bookstore is ran by the people who ran the upscale bookstore on Legacy in Plano that closed. I forget the name, but it wasn't around long. I haven't been to either, but I think The Real Bookstore is more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wanting to read Captivity for some time now. I've checked it out from the library even but ended up letting it return unread. Thanks for reminding me about it and I hope that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!