Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A Holiday Time Out and Back to the Books

That's right! This reading mama took a time out over the weekend. I did something Saturday I almost neverrrr do: stayed in my jammies all day long. Chuck was a huge help with Greyson, and I more or less laid around in a resting coma all the live-long day. It was awesome. Sunday we spent time at my mom's house, Monday for July 4th we swam and grilled out. All-in-all it was a very restful, non-bookish weekend, and I needed that.

I'm of the mind that the time we spend away from books is almost as important as the time we spend with books. Sometimes I just want to shut down for a moment and recharge. Now I'm itching to get right back to them!

I had my heart set on a re-read of Hotel World, by Ali Smith for Orange July, but I've discovered that it must be in storage at the moment, so I grabbed The Accidental off my shelves instead. I have to tell you, I was a little bored by the first chapter until the end when I met a very strange and enigmatic character, indeed. And now that I'm on to the second chapter, I'm meeting more enigmatic characters.

Smith's writing style is still quirky and stream-of-consciousnessy in this novel as it was in Hotel World, though not nearly as hardcore as someone like Virginia Woolf (for those of you who don't particularly like SOC). It certainly has shades of the unusual and the dark, and I'm excited to dig in a bit more at lunch today.

How was your weekend and holiday if you're in the States? If not, how's your week starting out?

12 comments:

  1. It is good to take a break from anything done regularly, even the pleasurable things. I think it recharges and renews us. I know I go through what might be called "reading slumps" but the reality more often than not is that I'm really only spending those times focusing on something else: gaming, spending time with friends, working on a project, going on a Dr. Who marathon, and once that passes I am back to reading and have a voracious appetite for it.

    I'm in that mode now.

    I did a similar lounging thing Sat night into Sunday. Other than church I laid in bed or sat in my office chair and tore through Wil Wheaton's book, Just a Geek. Loved it!

    I worked late Sunday night on Monday's post and spent the 4th playing board games with friends, eating with friends and family, and ended it with a little of the Dr.

    Wonderful times. Glad yours were as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day of sleeping in sounds fantastic! I'm glad to hear that you had a great weekend. It was too hot (for California) to do much so I just read and ignored my homework. Now I'm paying for my procrastination but it was worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a break from reading and blogging in June, so I am hopefully back to it for July. There is so much that I want to read! I really should try Ali Smith again. I have only read the one book by her and enjoyed it at the time, but have never tried her again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a great way to spend your weekend. We just got back in town, so we were total slugs all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I hate the 4th of July, I must admit it's better than the alternative...work. :-D

    And hooray for a pajama day...lazy days are the bestest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl, you can't write "Wil Wheaton" on my blog without my mind going straight to Sheldon on Big Bang Theory!!! Ha! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend full of rechargery. I know I needed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natasha, Texas was equally miserable. The pool water was even warm on Monday. Ugg! I loathe hot weather and am already counting down the days until October when we have a fighting chance of cooling off. I hope the homework catching up is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kailana, welcome back to the blogosphere! I've put off more Ali Smith for far too long myself. Cheers to more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, I like slugs! Sluggery is my middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, Jill! I would hate the 4th, too, if I lived where you do. It sounds like a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that sometimes we need to just "be" and not be "doing" anything, even reading. Glad you enjoyed all of your rest and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of Ali Smith (didn't she write something about boy meets girl? Ah, I just looked it up and it's Girl Meets Boy!). I love enigmatic characters, so you've already hooked me with your description of the end of chapter one. I need to look into this author! And yes, I, too, often need to recharge by just staying away for awhile from all things literary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!