Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Reading - Old Friends and a Book Purge!

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books!


With the last Harry Potter movie set to release on the 15th, I decided it's time to actually finish my re-read of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As I've been watching the trailers I find myself thinking, "Oh yeah! AND how/why did that happen?" So a refresher is in order. I have about 100 pages left. Haven't cried this time around, but it is yanking at my ole heartstrings.


Sadly, I had to return Louise Erdrich's Shadow Tag and Bloodroot by Amy Greene to the library unread. I just haven't had the motivation! On the other hand, I'm still enjoying Ben Loory's short story collection, Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day


Finally, I had a very bookish weekend when I purged something like four boxes of books yesterday. We're cleaning out our rented storage unit, and if the books aren't favorites, books I'll teach, or something I'm still dying to read after two years in storage, they go! I will have quite the haul to sell to Half-Price Books after work today. On the one hand, it's always sad to kiss books goodbye, but it also feels like a bit of a weight lifted. The books I have left are titles I'm absolutely sold on reading.


How was your weekend? Any bookish events? Anyone else feeling the need to purge?

18 comments:

  1. My weekend was mostly migraine-free so it was great! :-) I've purged a huge amount of books lately and it feels good though my shelves are still cramped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading Brick Lane, by Monica Ali, which is just fabulous. I don't know how I missed it when it was published in 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about cleaning out feeling like a weight being lifted. I'm sure it won't take long to fill that space back up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Tuesday we will have our annual Queen event for Book Club. I am excited! We dress up in Prom wear (yes, its true) and give speeches of shy we should be Queen (which really means they break all tie breakers on book choices for the next year).

    Thats my bookish event - in August we have a book sale where we sell our books to each other on the group and donate the money to a charity.

    Enjoy your Potter reads... I wanted to do the whole series but settled for the first and the last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited about Harry Potter this weekend too! I like to reread the books before the movies but won't make it with this one. So sad it's the last one. I also want to read Shadow Tag by Erdrich. I haven't read one of hers in a while. I think it wasn't on Kindle when I last looked. I just finished Deanna Raybourn's The Dark Enquiry and Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a HUGE book purge earlier this year and it opened up a lot of space. :) I figure I don't have to do another one for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so many books I want to read then there are though I need to read first. I was so anxious to read the one I am on now. That I forgot to do the review on the one I just finished.

    I am a newbie to "What are you reading?"
    I am following you now.
    Come and see what I am reading.

    http://itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natasha, I'm glad you're getting over the series of migraines. They are so so so miserable. My shelves at home are still full as well, but at least I know I don't have a moldering stash sitting in a storage unit. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becca, I've had my eye on Brick Lane ever since it came out, but it's one of those books I've never managed to get around to. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, as I was telling Natasha, I don't think I really cleared up any space at home, but now I know I don't have any books going to waste in storage either. Makes me feel so so so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila, the Queen even for your book club sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! And thanks re: Potter. All I could squeeze out right now for re-reading purposes is #7, but the kiddos and I are enjoying watching all the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookstop, I haven't read Erdrich, ever! What's your favorite of her stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly, I hope I don't either. I get many more books from the library these days, and I've got a bunch on the Nook, so maybe that'll keep me cleaned up and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome, Patricia! And thank you for the follow. It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the reading and reviewing. Will be visiting your blog shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm skimming some of the Harry Potter because of the movie.
    I hate to say goodbye to a book, and I always try to avoid it, but there's so many books and too little space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been giving books away to my coworker to help clear my shelves off a bit. There is just no room! And I cannot wait for the final Harry Potter movie....SOOO EXCITED!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thinking that it's about time I start reading Harry Potter. I guess I was waiting for the big finale before diving in.
    I've read Shadow Tag - it's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never mind purging books because it only gives me room to acquire more! I can't wait to see the last Harry Potter movie even though it pains me to say that it is the last one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!