Friday, July 01, 2011

Orangegasm! A Month of Orange Prize Reading

I promised myself no more challenges this year, especially after I challenged my own fool self to read all of the Tournament of Books contestants. BUT silly rules (especially self-inflicted ones) are made to be broken, so I'm hopping on the Orange July reading train!!! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you should probably visit The Magic Lasso and find out. And there are giveaways!

The premise of Orange July is to read AT LEAST ONE book-- just one singly itty bitty book -- that's won, been shortlisted, OR longlisted for the Orange Prize. Ever. How easy is that???!!! Admittedly, I've never been a huge awards follower. I've had really-freakin' mixed luck with Pulitzer winners, Booker tends to sit a little better with me, and somehow I usually end up reading more male than female authors in any given year, so the Orange has been a point of interest but largely ignored.

When I heard about Orange July I perked up, especially since several of my Tournament of Books winners were on the Orange list this year. I started investigating my shelves and realized I have quite a few Orangey books already in my house!

  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (winner)
  • On Beauty by Zadie Smith (winner)
  • White Teeth by Zadie Smith (shortlist)
  • Hotel World by Ali Smith (shortlist)
  • The Accidental by Ali Smith (shortlist)
  • The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (shortlist)
  • Great House by Nicole Krauss (shortlist)
  • The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht (winner)
Since it's summertime and I have less dispensable cash to buy books, it'll most definitely be a read-from-home and library July, so what better time to get better acquainted with these ladies?





The only book on this list that I've actually finished is Ali Smith's Hotel World. That was years ago and I ADORED it, so I'm keen for a re-read. It's written in a stream-of-consciousness style that's not quite as convoluted as Virginia Woolf. A little more accessible and it's got a certain creepy factor since one of the characters is a spirit in the hotel.  I've also had The Accidental on my shelves for a good long while, so I'm looking forward to that one.

I became interested in Tea Obreht earlier this year when I saw an interview of her discussing The Tiger's Wife, so I'm looking forward to finishing that one in July as well. I previously checked it out from my 'brary via the Overdrive e-book checkout system. Life got in the way, yadda, yadda.

Soooo many more books that I want to read, but I think these little beauties take the cake! 

If you're interested in Orange July what's at the top of your reading list? Also, are you interested in any particular bookish awards other than the Orange? If so, what are some of your favorite bookish award winners?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik