Saturday, July 23, 2011

Poking Head Out of a Hole

Hey splendiferous people! It was not my intention to take a bloggy break, but I had to act like a teacher this week. That is, our August term is getting ready to kick up at my dear sweet day job, and I'm in the tizzy planning for my Literature and Film, Science Fiction & Fantasy, and Fundamentals of Writing courses. I'll also be teaching the usual College Writing I and II online, along with Children's Literature, this Fall. How crazy am I? A whole hell of a lotta crazy!

For a good week or two I did not touch a book. Did not so much as stroke the cover of one, but that little reading burp seems to be over. A Facebook buddy and former grad school colleague of mine sent along a copy of Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger (only slightly gnawed by her cat). So far I LOVE THIS BOOK. So much more than the part of Affinity that I read.

I was one of the sixty gazillion people seeing Harry Potter 7.2 on opening weekend, and I've since decided it's a crackerjack idea to re-read the whole series from the beginning to see what I missed along the way. And can I just say, in regards to the film, NEVILLE ROCKS! There. I needed to get that out of my system.

Finally, I will be hosting the BookClubSandwich discussion of Jael McHenry's The Kitchen Daughter on Monday the 25th! If you haven't finished reading, you should. Or you should at least try and come discuss. At that juncture you will see why I am a pot calling a kettle black. Ahem!

So that's about it. Crazitude teacher planning + exhaustion + summer sluggery in the 104 degree heat + a renewed interest in reading make me a blog comer backer. See me coming back!

23 comments:

  1. You'll be teaching 6 classes? You're a whole lot of crazy! lol Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a mighty busy fall coming up for you, my dear! All that and a toddler too :)

    Good thing you're young and full of energy!

    I'm hoping to join in The Kitchen Daughter discussion. I enjoyed the book - it wasn't my favorite of the year..(so far A Good Hard Look and The Bird SIsters are in the top two for that title)..but it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love Neville! The four of us went to the midnight show and had a blast. I loved seeing all the kids (and older!) dressed up so creatively. I saw people dressed as golden snitches, ghosts, Voldemort, and Katherine swears she saw someone dressed as Hogwarts on fire. We went back last Monday to see it again. Just as fantabulous the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Little Stranger so much. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is going to be one busy fall semester for you! It sounds like fun--taking the classes anyway. I loved The Little Stranger and think it is my favorite by Sarah Waters! Hope you get in some reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are enjoying The Little Stranger. It is the only Waters book I have not liked so far, but I think I am in the minority!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Sounds like you have been really busy but good that you have still found time to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does sound crazy busy! I'm hoping to finish The Kitchen Daughter tonight. Or, at least, mostly. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love re-reading HP, I do it almost every year.
    Good luck with work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, 7 actually. I didn't mention I'll have two sections of Comp II. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, indeed! I wish I were younger and fuller of energy. LOL

    I can't wait for your thoughts. I didn't have as good as experience, though I suspect my not finishing it was an issue of timing more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tammy, I would've loved to be a golden snitch! LOL I would love to see it a 2nd time but haven't sprung for it just yet. I think I'll finish re-reading the series first.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far it's great, Nicole! I love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Danielle! I have every intention of going back to Affinity later on after I finish The Little Stranger. Somehow The Little Stranger managed to grab me much more straight off the bat. I wasn't a huge fan in the back and forth points of view in Affinity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lola, I've heard quite a few people give mixed reviews. It doesn't seem to be the overall favorite among her works, but I'm pretty much a clean slate. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathleen, I try my best. I pretty much carve out time at lunch and after Greyson goes to bed every night. It's a struggle, but it's gotta be done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to your comments, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Eclectic Reader! This is the first time I'll be re-reading straight through. It's been done in snatches and out of order in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm rereading the Harry Potter series too! Neville rocks SO much. I am excited about getting to the fifth book and seeing my dear, dear Neville come into his own. I love him. I couldn't stand him when the series started, but he has come to be in my top five favorite characters. Maybe my top three. I really adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing, amazing with all you do. I can't believe you have time to be a mother and wife(?) and read and blog. Whew. I'm exhausted thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!