Monday, August 08, 2011

The Catching Up Post

Whoa, dude! It's been INTENSE around here. In addtion to the new term start, I've been doing stuff with the fam, mentally preparing myself to buy school clothes and school supplies, chasing Greyson around the house (and up the stairs...hmphf!), and all sorts of madness.

More than anything, I've been prepping for classes left and right. We headed into the second week of the academic term today. My Lit and Film class started watching Edward Scissorhands. It's decidedly not literary, but it's really effective for learning film terms. We're headed into "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" AND Burton's Sleepy Hollow film next.

My Science Fiction and Fantasy class is working on their folk and fairy tale unit. We've read oodles of "Little Red Riding Hood" variations including Perrault, the Grimm Brothers, Joseph Jacobs, and even Roald Dahl. We also watched the Tex Avery cartoon, "Red Hot Riding Hood" and today we started the newest film version of Red Riding Hood, directed by Catherine Hardwick.

Whew! And did I mention our Academic Dean is on maternity leave? That adds a little fuel to the workerly fire. We've been BUSY.

Fun reading? Not so much, though I think the school reading has been pretty darn fun. I'll be wrapping up some loose ends this week (The Little Stranger) and diving into some new loose ends (Tout Sweet).

What have I missed?

21 comments:

  1. My term starts on the 22nd, and I am so unprepared I'm starting to get twitches. My summer has been one long snooze fest regarding substantive work.

    This may be the semester I only go in with the first half of the term mapped out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very busy time of things all round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for teaching fairy tales! Wish I could be there for the class. You'll just have to fill us all in here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tired just thinking about all you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a busy girl! I bet your classes are so fun though. Would love to take your film class. How are you enjoying The Little Stranger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Little Stranger when you finish. It is one that I've been wanting to read for some time now. Good luck keeping up with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to take your classes. :) Edward Sisscorhands is one of my favorite movies (has been since I was a kid). Any opportunity to watch it is fine by me!

    Good luck with your busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trisha, I know the feeling. I have one comp class that's new, and I'm teaching online out of a book I'm not terribly familiar with yet. I will have to power through that planning and probably only be half done. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed, Stu. Received the book, by the way. Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely, Emily! It's great fun. Only downside: I have the same group of students at 7:15 and 9:15, four hours total. They're tired by the time I'm done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, me too! We didn't have much of a break between terms either, so I'm a little beaten down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving The Little Stranger, Iliana. There's not a single thing I don't like about it so far. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving it so far, Samantha. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I think I'll have a good review to write.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Allie! I love the movie, too, as do most of my students. I thought it'd be a good opportunity to dig in right off the bat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you're teaching some fun classes! Hope you manage to find some time for your own reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We still have a week and a half until our term starts, and I already feel crazy. Of course, even though I feel like I've been here more than two months, once the students arrive on campus, it will feel like a whole new job again! Enjoy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know how you have time to read, let alone blog, Andi! My hubby's not teaching until fall, so he has a bit of a break. Of course, he has his regular job and a book he's supposed to be writing, so it has't been too much of a break for him.

    Need to watch Edward Scissorhands again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is totally unrelated to anything you said in this post BUT I've just this second remembered I had a dream about your blog last night! I dreamed that I was going through Google Reader and you had a post about how Sarah Waters had a new book. But when I woke up I forgot I'd had the dream and only retained the low-level happy feeling from it. And just now I realized that the low-level happy feeling I had relating to Sarah Waters was based on something that wasn't real. Sigh.

    I hope everything calms down! This all sounds terribly hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Carrie! The start of a new term is always exciting. Having a good time meeting my students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your hubs is quite the busy guy, Les! How exciting that he's working on another book. And Edward Scissorhands is most definitely worth a re-watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny, I'm laughing at your comment. I think you're probbly the first person EVER to dream about my blog. lol

    Sorry that the new Sarah Waters book isn't real. I'd be pretty darn excited about that too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!