Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Sick, Sourpuss, Short Stories

I always seem to forget that Greyson attending daycare is harder on me than on him. In his first week and a half back I've now conquered the snot monster and have successfully caught a stomach bug. GRRRR!

Greyson spent yesterday and today in the care of his daddio and brother and sister while I lounged and did absolutely nothing. That said, I finished Tout Sweet, by Karen Wheeler, and just as I suspected, it was a huuuuge winner! It fit my mood perfectly and I loved the atmosphere, her writing about food and decor and the goings-on in the French countryside. Sourcebooks is marketing this as "Flit Lit" -- chick lit + travel. I like it, though I'm always resistant to the "chick lit" label in any of its forms. Tout Sweet officially scores a rating of Snuggle.

I jumped directly from Tout Sweet back into Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day by Ben Loory. There's a chance I may finish it up today while I'm relaxing and recovering. As much as I like the surreal, fairy tale feel of this collection, there are some distinctive problems with it, but I'll share those when I'm completely finished reading it.

While I am absolutely, positively ready for a Sunday without illness, this one has been laid back and low-stress, so I can't complain too much. How's your day? Healthier than mine, I hope. :)

15 comments:

  1. Ugh, sorry to see you're sick again, but I'm glad you had a good book by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh - being sick sucks! I feel like I've been sick for half the summer, so it's been nice to enjoy a little health for a change. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    Tout Sweet definitely sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I like that category - "Snuggle". Feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo on being sick. How not fun. :(

    I'm curious for your thoughts on that second one. I adore that cover...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Kathy! Without the books it would've been quite miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Megan! I've been doing great since my son was out of daycare for a while, but now illness is back with a vengeance! Hopefully it clears up soon. Tout Sweet was sweet! Har!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Amanda! I felt the need to cut my ratings down to Snuggle or Skewer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allie, I adore that cover, too! I finished it up just now, so I'll probably post a review early in the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love how kids bring home all these things, never catching it, just passing it on. The boy has a cold, so it's just a matter of time for me. At least you can read! I have the attention span of my 3YO lately. I couldn't find anything to grab my attention yesterday; I thought I was going to go mad. I finally gave up and watched Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember back to school time. A week in and half the class was sick with something. I don't miss those days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, sometimes it just takes Dr. Who to make everything right! :) I'm home sick from work again today (2nd day in two weeks). If I'm staying home, I'd much rather it be for a fun reason -- not a stomach bug! Arrrg!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kailana, I don't miss those either, but now I get to experience them all over again with my boy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boo, a stomach bug. That sucks! Hope you're feeling better! I've been hearing a lot about Tout Sweet, but was wondering if it were, erm too sweet for me. Glad to hear it's a winner in your books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. UGH! I'd take a cold over the stomach bug any day! How sucky to get hit with both. :( I hope you've recovered by now and are able to enjoy life once again!

    Tout Sweet is one I'm just going to have to break down and buy. You and Bellezza both loved it and it sounds like my kind of book!! So much for reading from my stacks...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear you are under the weather but glad that you are enjoying some reading time! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!