Monday, September 12, 2011

BBAW, Day 1

It's time! Book Blogger Appreciation Week is upon us, and I do plan to participate here and there throughout the week as much as I can. When I saw today's topic, I was especially keen to jump on in!

While the awards are a fun part of BBAW, they can never accurately represent the depth and breadth of diversity in the book blogging community. Today you are encouraged to highlight a couple of bloggers that have made book blogging a unique experience for you. They can be your mentors, a blogger that encouraged you to try a different kind of book, opened your eyes to a new issue, made you laugh when you needed it, or left the first comment you ever got on your blog. Stay positive and give back to the people who make the community work for you!

First off, I hate choosing. I'll just say, I read a TON of blogs, and I love each and every blog and blogger for different reasons. You bring this community to life for me every day.

The first blogger I'd like to recognize is Allie from A Literary Odyssey. Allie is a great example of a committed, passionate blogger. She has a goal to read 250 classics, and she's working through those at what I consider a REALLY impressive rate. She's also a teacher, though her state has been hit hard by the flailing economy. I love Allie's blog for her writing but also because Allie herself is a wonderful, thoughtful, lovely person.
Another blogger I'm thrilled to mention is Bellezza of Dolce Bellezza. She's also an educator, very well read, blogs about interesting and varied reading choices. Beyond all of these wonderful attributes, I find Bellezza an inspiring woman. She's sassy, she's honest, and she's a woman of faith. Reading her blog always reminds me to stay centered and find the beauty in everyday things.

Finally, Carrie from nomadreader is another enduring favorite, and a rock awesome librarian! She has inspired me to read more literary fiction with her informed, finely crafted reviews. I also love her posts about cuisine and travel. She's a nomad after my own heart. Her blog inspires me every time I visit.
Thanks to all of these ladies for always spurring me on in my own blogging. You're an inspiration!

23 comments:

  1. Allie and Bellezza are favourites of mine too. I really should start visiting Carrie's blog more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful list you got here!

    I had a hard time choosing. But I opted for totally unheard of blogs. Isn’t that the intention of community? To spread far and wide!!

    Here is my post:

    BBAW 2011: Community

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks! I'm a big fan of your blog too, and it's so nice to be in good company about the craziness of academic wrecking havoc on our reading time. If I had a kid too, I'd be a hopeless blogger. You inspire me by posting so frequently with things other than book reviews: I try to not limit myself to posting only reviews, and it has helped keep blogging (and reading) stress-free (well, for the most part!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is tough to choose, but you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Allie, but I'll have to check out the other two. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see the wonderful Bellezza getting some love, apart from her own blog Dolce Bellezza she runs The Japanese literature Challenge now in its 5th year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are new to me -- thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, this is going to sound strange, but I'm actually thrilled I've never heard of 2/3 of the blogs you mentioned! More new blogs to read! Hurray!

    Happy BBAW, Andi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some of my faves too. Glad you participated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww.....thanks Andi. You're so sweet...

    I do love Bellezza's blog as well. She is just...so inspiring.

    I think I might need to start a regular feature so I can highlight more of the bloggers I love (including you!) since I will never have enough room in one post to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Andi, thank you so much for recognizing me here on your lovely blog. It humbles me to be one of the blogs you mentioned, and it especially humbles me what you said about me being a woman of faith...staying centered and all that. Just a sinner saved by grace, trying to walk in His way, but I'm glad those things stick out to you. It's hard to know quite where one belongs; I'm not exactly a classic lit blogger, nor an international. I guess a little bit of everything (short of vampires), but I am inspired by those around me. I do feel a connection to those who mother and teach and read (you) and so kisses from me and back at you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dolce was one of my picks also

    I am stopping by from the Philippines to visit your blog via the list of posts for Day one

    Please Stop by My Blog if you Like

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Bellezza for all the reasons you mentioned. I need to visit the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "her blog always reminds me to stay centered and find the beauty in everyday things." What a a beautiful thing to say and I agree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iris, you should! I'm sure Carrie would be glad to have you. :)

    Gautami, I agree that it should be for showcasing. I have been participating in this event for a number of years, and I wanted to choose blogs new-to-me and those that I've been reading for a while that have not been spotlighted here before.

    eclecticreader, isn't she?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrie, keeping it book-centric but also throwing in some tidbits about daily life really keeps me from getting bored!!! I decided a while ago that blogging should ABSOLUTELY NEVER be a stressor. I love it too much to stress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Kathy!

    I hope you love them as much as I do, Trisha!

    Parrish Lantern, thanks for dropping in. I've never participated in the Japanese Literature Challenge myself, but I know she's done a wonderful job with it. It's one of the most enduring challenges in the blogosphere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My pleasure, Joy! I hope you enjoy them.

    LOL, Emily and happy BBAW! I know you'll love these blogs. I love finding new-to-me blogs during BBAW as well!

    Thanks, Chris!

    Allie, I think that's a GREAT idea! It would take me a zillion years to spotlight everyone in my reader, but it would be totally worth it because they all deserve a pat on the back and a little bloggy love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of bloggy love to you, Bellezza. Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right. ;)

    Happy BBAW to you too, Lu!

    Thanks for dropping in, Mel!

    Yes you do, Les! You'll *heart* them. ;)

    Thank you, Jackie! She's quite the awesome bloggy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a very impressive list ... even though the goal to read 250 classics kind of left me stunned and my mouth hanging open. I couldn't read that many books in a year ... let alone classics!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Bellezza and Carrie! How have I not heard of Allie? I'm off to check her out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!