Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BBAW, Day 3 - More Community!

The world of book blogging has grown enormously and sometimes it can be hard to find a place. Share your tips for finding and keeping community in book blogging despite the hectic demands made on your time and the overwhelming number of blogs out there. If you’re struggling with finding a community, share your concerns and explain what you’re looking for–this is the week to connect!

I've been in this community for six years, and that makes me an OLD LADY. There have been a ton of changes in the book blogging community over time, namely that the community as a whole has exploded with new bloggers! It's a wonderful thing, after all this time, to still be making new friends, and it's nice to see new projects, events, and memes popping up all the time.

 
When I first started blogging, I felt a part of the community mostly because friends from Yahoo! Groups came over to blogging around the same time  (Heather, Nat, Les) and because of the former project Heather and I worked on together: Estella's Revenge E-Zine. Since my life has changed so drastically in the last few years, I finally had to face the fact that the E-Zine could no longer take up quite so much of my time. I also find I have to be very choosy in picking events and projects in which to take part in the blogging community because of home life committments and a rigorous administrative and teaching schedule.
 
At this point in my life, I find that the best ways to stay connected are simply visiting and commenting on others' blogs! I make a point to visit the blogs of people who stop in and comment here at Estella's Revenge, and I love finding new blogs through my friends and those I read consistently. I also have a Twitter account that I use less than I'd like (http://www.twitter.com/estellasrevenge) and I've started a Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/estellasrevenge). I also find it helpful to use other social networking outlets like Facebook and Goodreads. I find that I get more traffic and meet more new people because we're such a Facebook-centric society these days. I visit those who appear on my wall, and my peers do the same. Even some of my work friends visit my blog based on Facebook posts. In fact, the Director of Student Finance here at the college is reading The Little Stranger as we speak! Or she was. Haven't heard an update lately, so I'll have to check in on her progress. :)
 
All-in-all, the blogosphere can feel overwhelmingly large, even to someone who's been in it for a very long time. Find the blogs you like and branch out from there. You'll make friends, have a good time, and ultimately, that's the goal!

21 comments:

  1. haha, an OLD LADY, huh? I'd prefer not to think of myself like that... How about a slightly nicer description? Blogging veteran? Something along those lines... :)

    I agree, though. Commenting really is key. And now I am going to go see if I follow you on tumblr... Not that I pay a lot of attention to tumblr lately... Or log into Twitter... hm, maybe I am old...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a blogging veteran and definitely not old!!

    Community has kept me going in a MASSIVE reading slump. Or I would have fallen apart!

    Here is my post:

    BBAW: Community thingy

    II

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always happy to see a comment you've left on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I ever told you how much it means to me that you take the time to stop by my blog and leave comments? I get this goofy grin on my face every time I see your name!

    Great advice. You're living proof that it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so long to be blogging...awesome! I'd love to hear more about how bloggers utilize Facebook. That's the slowest of the social networks for me, at least where my blog is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nah--blogging veteran doesn't do it justice. I think we're old folks.

    I haven't really used facebook a whole lot in terms of keeping connected with other bloggers. I see lots of people setting up blog pages and haven't been sure if I should go that route. But you're not the first to mention FB today!! Hrmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. I also try to visit the blogs that comment on my blog. That's how I found many great bloggers that have a reading taste similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I love Twitter, but it can be a huge time suck, so I don't spend as much time on it as I'd like. 6 years is old in blogging years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true: we simply can't do it all, and I've found the best balance by doing what I can. Some weeks it's certainly more than others (especially with Twitter!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel pretty old these days too. The blogging community has just increased so drastically in the past three years! I love meeting all the new faces, but danged if it doesn't make this hobby even more time consuming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so grateful for BBAW. I have learned a lot from reading these posts the last few days & have been introduced to a few great new blogs too.
    It is hard for the NKOTB to bust in & find their niche in this community. I talk to other new bloggers and they feel the same. I am finding my feelings are shared by others, new and old to this. That is nice. We all have so much more in common than just the love of books.
    Thank you. Thank you all.
    I am reading your review of Night Circus next. I will decide after whether to buy the book or not. No pressure ;) lolz.. I def want to read this book. I have heard a lot of fab things about it.
    Please stop by & say hi when you get a chance :)
    Books And Beyond

    ReplyDelete
  13. The amount of blogs out there is overwhelming, but I have to limit myself somehow...

    I need to be a better commenter. It is something I am working on, but I can do better. Sometimes weeks go by before I realize that while I have read posts, I haven't commented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly, only in blogging years re: old lady. :D I can't even remember if you follow me on Tumblr. I've been neglecting it lately. Maybe after my audit at work! EEek!

    Gautami, as I said to Kelly...only "old" in blogging years. :) Community also keeps me chugging and away from reading slumps.

    Thank you, Chris! I'm always happy when you comment as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, thank you, Emily! I'm excited when you comment as well, and I was disappointed (a little worried?) when you disappeared for a while. I'm glad it was for positive reasons and that you're back!

    Erin, it's a slow grow type of social media. I haven't had as many people join or "like" as I would on an outlet like Twitter, but I do think readers are more likely to visit those who pop up in their news feed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trish, it's a royal pain in the arse to set up a Facebook page (took me forever to find the instructions), but it's been fun to have one. I've enjoyed "liking" or "friending" authors, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen, eclecticreader! It's the most direct path to finding blogs I enjoy.

    Kathy, I love Twitter, too, but I haven't had the attention span for it lately. And you're right, it can be a time suck. When the academic term is slow I keep it going at work, but I rarely get online at home anymore. Spending more time getting Greyson into a solid routine at night and READING when he goes to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carrie, it's hit and miss with me and Twitter. I love the conversation, but the time committment is a bear sometimes! I've accepted the "can't do it all" attitude, though I can be a little compulsive and that's hard to stomach. :)

    Trisha, it is very time consuming. I've been in my feed reader a lot over the course of BBAW, and I've actually been unsubbing from dead blogs to make it a little more streamlined and easier to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping in, Books and Beyond! I'm glad you've found the BBAW posts helpful and informative. I have discovered several new-to-me blogs that have gone straight into my feed reader. Community is key! :)

    Allie, I get in funks when I don't want to comment or I just don't think I have anything to say. They're few and fare between, but it has a lot to do with my mood in "real life" or at work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sticking around while I was gone! I'll try not to worry you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Laughing with Kailana. Old Lady, eh? Hard to believe I'm coming up on 6 years this February. Yep, you, Nat, and Heather were some of the very first bloggers I knew. I think your blog was THE very first, though. I remember you mentioned it on the Yahoo group and I really had no idea what you were talking about! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!