Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BBAW, Day 3 - More Community!

The world of book blogging has grown enormously and sometimes it can be hard to find a place. Share your tips for finding and keeping community in book blogging despite the hectic demands made on your time and the overwhelming number of blogs out there. If you’re struggling with finding a community, share your concerns and explain what you’re looking for–this is the week to connect!

I've been in this community for six years, and that makes me an OLD LADY. There have been a ton of changes in the book blogging community over time, namely that the community as a whole has exploded with new bloggers! It's a wonderful thing, after all this time, to still be making new friends, and it's nice to see new projects, events, and memes popping up all the time.

 
When I first started blogging, I felt a part of the community mostly because friends from Yahoo! Groups came over to blogging around the same time  (Heather, Nat, Les) and because of the former project Heather and I worked on together: Estella's Revenge E-Zine. Since my life has changed so drastically in the last few years, I finally had to face the fact that the E-Zine could no longer take up quite so much of my time. I also find I have to be very choosy in picking events and projects in which to take part in the blogging community because of home life committments and a rigorous administrative and teaching schedule.
 
At this point in my life, I find that the best ways to stay connected are simply visiting and commenting on others' blogs! I make a point to visit the blogs of people who stop in and comment here at Estella's Revenge, and I love finding new blogs through my friends and those I read consistently. I also have a Twitter account that I use less than I'd like (http://www.twitter.com/estellasrevenge) and I've started a Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/estellasrevenge). I also find it helpful to use other social networking outlets like Facebook and Goodreads. I find that I get more traffic and meet more new people because we're such a Facebook-centric society these days. I visit those who appear on my wall, and my peers do the same. Even some of my work friends visit my blog based on Facebook posts. In fact, the Director of Student Finance here at the college is reading The Little Stranger as we speak! Or she was. Haven't heard an update lately, so I'll have to check in on her progress. :)
 
All-in-all, the blogosphere can feel overwhelmingly large, even to someone who's been in it for a very long time. Find the blogs you like and branch out from there. You'll make friends, have a good time, and ultimately, that's the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik