Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bookish Brain Dump: The Lantern!

Whoa, y'all! We're in mid-audit. Well, it's audit day. It hasn't started yet, and I'll be hella glad when it's over. I think we're well prepared and nothing to really worry about, but of course there's a little anxiety until it's DONE!

Behind the scenes, my brain is still stuck on books. Yesterday I downloaded Deborah Lawrenson's much blogged-about novel, The Lantern, for the RIP VI readalong.

From Lawrenson's website:

The Lantern is a modern gothic novel, inspired by a crumbling hamlet in Provence. When I began writing, it was going to be an homage to Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, with its young heroine who finds her man becomes more mysterious to her the longer she is with him.



Along the way it became a novel about perfume and blindness and the past life of houses, and also about books, reading and the imagination.


And while the story was all in my mind, the beauty of the Luberon region that provides the backdrop was just there to be captured in words…

Captivating, no? I laid in bed reading the first few chapters on my iPhone last night after Greyson went to sleep. I was instantly caught up in the language, and I can't wait to see what this book holds for me. I've become very interested in "house novels" since reading Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger earlier this year. The house certainly became a character of its own in that book, and it sounds like I have something similar ahead in this one.

I'm also sort of fascinated with the chapter layout in this one. The book is only 350ish pages (388 maybe?) but there are like 60 chapters or somethin'!

I hope some of you are planning to join in. The schedule for this group read will be:

  • Monday, Oct 3 to Oct 9, Parts 1 and 2 (Questions by Carl). Answers post Monday, October 10th.
  • Monday, Oct 10 to Oct 16 Parts 3 and 4, (Questions by Kailana). Answers post Monday, October 17th.
  • Monday, Oct 17 to Oct 23 Part 5 and Wrap Up, (Questions by Heather). Answers post Monday October 24th.
Visit Stainless Steel Droppings for more info on the readalongs!

14 comments:

  1. I am still hesitant about this one. I really don't know what my problem is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are enjoying this one! I am looking forward to the read-along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can put my hand on a library copy, I would love to join you in this read along. Emma @ Words And Peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that's an audit at work and not with the IRS. I just picked up The Lantern this weekend and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally diving in and joining this readalong! I picked up the book last weekend and it took everything I had to not read it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're joining us! I can't wait to start the book; I'm encouraged that you are loving it. That means I probably will to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lola, I dove right in, and so far it's working for me. It's a little lighter than the gothic tale I was imagining. It has a good bit of the supernatural and menacing in it, but it's only hinted at so far. Also, the setting in France lightens things up in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, can't wait to discuss it with you in the readalong!

    Emma, I hope you can join in! It looks to be good fun.

    Kathy, most definitely an audit at work. IRS-anything scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie, I started it yesterday and I've already read past what the first questions will be. Oooops!

    Heather, pretty sure you'll dig this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't read this! I still have to read Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, I haven't read Rebecca either. I don't know how much relates to Rebecca, but for right now I'm just enjoying it for the story.

    Wanna read Rebecca together sometime? Maybe we would hate it less than Franzen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won't be joining the group read, but I'll be eagerly awaiting your posts! Good luck surviving the audit. Keep your brain stuck on books. It's safer there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you're enjoying this one! I really liked this one, although I haven't read Rebecca either. I should. I now have a copy. One day...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!