Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Andi's Vacation Chronicles, Day 6

My vacation is winding down, y'all, and I could not have hoped for a better, more relaxing bunch of "me" time to get centered and ready for the remainder of the calendar year at work. Tomorrow it's back to my 7:15am class, management team meetings, audit preparation, and my co-workers I enjoy so much. I don't dread going back, but I do mourn the loss of unlimited reading time.

While I had hoped to complete at least two or three books this week, I only finished one, and you all know it because I've been gushing about it ever since. I plan to post my review of The Night Circus tomorrow so you'll know exactly why I love it so much.

In other news, I started my next read, also for RIP VI, The Good Dr. Guillotin by Marc Estrin, published by Unbridled Books. It's the story of five men, all involved in one way or other with the first guillotine in France. One is an early criminal to meet his fate there, another the doctor who wanted to invent a "humane" execution device, the executioner himself, etc. So far it's a really quick, interesting read, so I'm hoping to polish it off early this week.  

Also on the docket for today: reading some short stories to catch up for my Science Fiction and Fantasy class. I'm certain at least some of these stories will count toward the RIP VI Short Story Peril, so expect to see a post about those, soon.

Finally, like so many others, I'm contemplating the 10-year anniversary of 9/11 today. I was fortunate not to have lost anyone in that tragedy, but like so many Americans, we feel a kinship to those who endured this horrible event. It's become such a defining part of our history as Americans, and it's hard to believe it's been 10 years already. My prayers go out to those who still wrestle with the reality and endure the lasting pain of what happened there 10 years ago.

8 comments:

  1. I glad your vacation was such a success! I think we all changed 10 years ago today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While in Paris I walked by the house where Dr. Guillotin lived, according to my walking tour book, at least. It's a very desirable location right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you has a great vacation. I feel like I could use one of those myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The guillotin book sounds really interesting and I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I'm glad to hear that you had a good vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a lovely vacation! I can't wait to see what you thought of Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I agree. Such a huge ripple effect throughout history. Vacation was a huuuge success! It's sort of a brain drain to be back at work today. :)

    C.B., that's cool! I love visiting historical sites like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, I was wayyy overdue. Looking forward to renewed vacation time beginning in October. Who knows when I'll take it, but I sure like having it standing by!

    Thanks, Samantha! Guillotin is great so far. Planning to get back to it today during my lunch hour. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Deb! Can't wait to share with y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!