Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Coming Uppers

Thanks for all of the kind comments on my previous, "Personally" post. I appreciate the pep talks and well wishes and prayers. Today is a new day, and I'm stuck home from work with what the doctor will only call "something viral." It involves streppy symptoms like a wicked sore throat and the worst muscle aches I've ever had!!! I can't wait to feel better (hurry up!) but I though I'd stop in for a quick review of what's coming on ze blog in the near future.

I've actually put Deborah Lawrenson's The Lantern on hold for a few days. I'm way ahead of the group read over at Carl's place, and I'm still certain I'll finish it before the first post goes up. That's OK, I like a book that can grab me by the hair.

I dug into Keith Cronin's Me Again for my participation in the upcoming TLC Book Tour. My first thoughts were not good. There was something "off" about the writing for me. I think the bottom line might be that I'm having trouble suspending disbelief that a stroke victim could write this lucidly about his "rebirth" experience. We'll see, though. The further I read, the more thoroughly involved I'm becoming!

I'm still staring down the stacks of books I bought recently. I do believe Tipping the Velvet is floating to the top. I just can't resist a Waters novel sitting and staring at me.

What are you reading?

9 comments:

  1. I am laughing so loud at the "something viral" diagnosis. I get "something viral" at least twice a year. :) It sucks. Take it easy and relax as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Destiny of the Republic. Garfield rocks!

    Hope you're feeling better and reading something better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many Waters books starting at me, it's not even funny. I really need to get to one soon.

    I hope you feel better! Streppy symptoms are NOT fun. Don't give it to teh babeh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Tipping the Velvet about ten years ago and loved it. I'm determined to read more Waters in the next year. I must finish them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. unfortunately, i'm only reading library science school books right now. In fact, i should be working on an assignment but instead i'm catching up on blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry you're sick :-( It's so miserable, isn't it? I hope the virus goes away soon and you get a good book to cuddle up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Demian by Hermann Hesse, last night, and am well into The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai, this morning, thanks to an early wake-up call by a cat who freakishly disappears after being fed (but will make a racket for as long as it takes to fully wake up the human).

    Sorry you're sick. But, you can read? If so, I hope you at least get some fun reading time out of being stuck in bed and miserable.

    I just read your last post about your job. So sorry about that, too. I have a feeling you'll find something wonderful. You're very resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trisha, I'm glad someone else gets 'something viral' occasionally. I was beginning to think my doctor is just lazy! :D

    Kathy, thank you! Much better now, but it took a few days.

    Jill, never heard of it! Will investigate.

    Heatheroo, yes you do. The Little Stranger has seriously whet my appetite for more.

    Carrie, yay! Waters is so great. Her settings and her writing is just so lush and involving. She can seriously grab me by the hair.

    Melanie, I'm a library school dropout. I had a serious habit of skipping the assignments and checking the blogs. Oops!

    Thanks, Aarti! Feeling much better now...finally!

    Thank you, Nanciroo! I hope my resourcefulness kicks in in a big way this time. MUST HAVE WORK! Seriously jealous that you're reading so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!