Thursday, October 06, 2011

I Brake for Style, Post the First

In light of the bad news I mentioned below AND the fact that I've been sick, reading has been a wee tad slow at my house. I'm enjoying my reading, and I'm carving out a few minutes every day, but I'm not quite trucking along at the clip I'd like. However, this week is steadily improving, we're in the middle of the changeover from one academic term to the next, and and I'm feeling a good deal better the last couple of days.

I feel well and upbeat enough to post, but I also don't want to keep boring you with the same words about the same books, SO we're going somewhere different today. Style. S-T-Y-L-E. You heard it.

Outside of ye olde blog I'm really interested in style: fashion, home decor, trends. In general, I'm a very visual person, so it's not a shocker. I was even an art student once upon a time. I've always been interested in expressing my personality visually and playing with my look. I've had some very distinct "trends" in my own life and they weren't all good: the high school days when I wore nothing but Nike shirts, my college and grad school days when I expanded my wardrobe a little bit but generally just cut and dyed my hair a whole bunch of colors, and of course, the multiple facial piercings over the years (tongue, eyebrow, nose).

I should also mention, I've always been a plus size, so fashion CAN be a drag at times. After I had Greyson in April 2010, my body was different and like so many new moms I was hella busy, tired, worn out, and generally disinterested in looking good. I lost a bit of my spark for a minute. My hair grew out, the grey started showing, I wore it up in a knot or ponytail all the time, my clothes started showing a good deal of wear, and I tended to fall back on Too Much Black. My mom, being the saint that she is, treated me to a brand new wardrobe for my 30th birthday, and I was back on the scene. I perked up the color, went for better fit. I took my love of What Not to Wear and tried to inject it into my daily life and style. I've also become an avid InStyle reader (don't tell anyone!).

Before I got all of my hair lopped off, I had fallen back into a bit of a clothing and appearance funk. I was wearing the same outfits too often, falling back on baggy and unbecoming. I'm a slave to comfort -- what can I say? And since I get up at 5:00 many mornings, there was a bit of dontgivashit thrown in. Since the hair transformation, I've kind of been on a style crusade! And it reaches beyond clothing to making my home a little cozier and comfier.

Here are some items I've found lately that I just love:

Add caption
Y'all probably already know of my love affair with all things owl. This scented oil burner from Bath and Body Works is adorable! Confession: I didn't actually buy this. I bought slightly smaller version that holds a tea light. candle. Right now I'm burning a marshmallow scent in my bedroom.

These pyramid stud earrings from Nordstrom are ridiculously simple but SO FRACKIN CUTE! Especially when they're on. They catch a lot more light than typical small studs given the pyramid shape. I'm tempted to buy them in gold and jet, too! Also, I don't typically order from Nordstrom, but these were the most affordable I found in my searching!


I've also been kind of obsessed with cozifying my bedroom as of late. I bought a new comforter from Target. It's a reversible with a brown/green/turquoise floral silhouette pattern on one side. I've discovered that I really like mixing patterns, and I started eyeing these sheets from Anthropologie. Well, a po' teacher such as myself can't afford to drop $250 on sheets (only 250 thread count!!!) so I went with a little less exciting, but much cheaper version from Target:
My pattern is a little different, but you get the gist. Pretty! I love me some turquoise.

I suspect I'll do more style posts in the future and maybe next time I'll branch out to the clothing department. But for now, that's a sneaky peek at my life outside of Blogville.

Have you done any styling of your home or self lately?


20 comments:

  1. You rock! I need to do some stylin' but I need help with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think of you every time I see an owl, Andi! You were my original Secret Santa a few years back. :) Love the items you chose here.

    As I'm getting more and more into the "big girl world" and still filling out my work wardrobe, I'm developing my own sense of style and seeing what works for me. I'm also a victim of the Too Much Black scheme, but I have a trend of black/white/red going on that I like. It's becoming my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some mornings when 5:30 seems even earlier than normal and black seems like the way to go, because it just doesn't take that much thought. But then, a few hours later I inevitably look down and depress the hell out of myself.

    Also...there's nothing like shopping to cheer oneself up. At least in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathy! I'm not the cleverest cookie when it comes to styling. I tend to be too "safe." So now I'm trying not to be safe and I like my style more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Meg! You were the BEST Secret Santa. I love my owl ornament you sent that year and all the other little goodies.

    I've become one of those people whose work wardrobe and weekend wardrobe is interchangable. The only thing different about my work wardrobe is the pants: slacks. My Friday and weekends are all about jeans, but I wear many of the same blouses and cardigans outside of work. I've also gone accessory freakin' crazy. Love 'em! I've also pretty much given in to the fact that heels do not work in my world. Impossible to teach in the darn things, and with a toddler to run after -- not so much. :D

    Love black/white/red!!! I like doing a grey suit for work with red accents, including a bold flower lapel pin. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, you are sooo right re: depressing black. I always say that if I'm dressed in black, I'm doing my best Johnny Cash impression.

    Loooove me some shopping. I'm even planning a Forever 21 trip for some cheap jewelry. My left leg wouldn't fit in their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no sense of style, near as I can tell, although since I've lost a little weight I'm trying not to wear the sloppy tees and yoga pants, all the time. Still . . . I dressed up to see Simon and forgot to change from my walking shoes to heels. Sometimes I really think I'm hopeless.

    Around the house . . . is decluttering stylish? That's about all the styling I'm doing at home.

    Love those sheets. Anthropologie has some beautiful things, but they are way the heck too expensive. Target is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey andi,

    a friend of mine runs an organic sheet company called magnolia organics. you can check out their stuff on their website or on amazon. ashley and i have liked all the sheets we've received so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost bought myself that owl. I wanted it SO bad.

    I am guilty of wearing easy clothes every day. I probably could dress myself for an outside job, but I think I've forgotten anything but a ponytail for my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had my eye on that owl burner! I need new bedding too but I don't think we can swing it right now. I am so bored with what we have though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to dress up but I MUST be comfortable. Those two adjectives don't always go together unfortunately. Like Meg I tend to have pieces of the same colors in my closet...black, white, red, and I've been adding some hot pink on sassy days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about getting into a rut after the baby ... it took me YEARS to get out of my rut! But now I'm back to enjoying my accessories - jewelry, scarves, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

    And thanks for the owl pic - my sister-in-law LOVES owls and I'm always looking for stuff to give her around the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, amen to Target is awesome. I love their stuff and could spend a paycheck there every month. But I don't. Even though I want to.

    I am a total flipflop addict. I can definitely see myself forgetting to change from flipflops to any sort of fancy shoe on any occasion. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tip, carpetbagger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, I know exactly what you mean. When I realized I wore my hair in a pony EVERY day and it was showing my grey AND it was starting to break and give me headaches, that's when I decided to chop it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lola, I know what you mean. I had a beautiful, wonderful, thick, luscious comforter on my bed for YEARS. To the point that it was being held together by duct tape. Now that I have an 18 month old and a dog, I figure I'll save a little on bedding. I got everything at Target, so I'm not out much $$$ if it gets pooped on or torn by dog toenails.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Patti, I hear ya. I still insist on comfort, even though I'm trying to be more choosy in my wardrobe. As teachers, we really have to be able to move!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't that owl the cutest, Heather?! And yes, it's easy to get rutty. I have always loved self-reinvention, so it was bound to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've definitely been doing some styling lately. I switched out my nose rings and got a tattoo. I also went to the mall of america this past weekend and I bought some ah-mazing boots at Steve Madden. They're just perfect. Fall is always when my style gets more creative because I love layering and wearing unexpected things together. I find that's a lot harder to do during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep looking at all the awesome outfits on Pinterest and wish I had a better sense of style. Even if I did, I doubt I'd use except on the weekends. I work in a bookstore and it's not conducive to wearing nice clothes (and definitely not heels!). My pants get worn in the knees and my tops get beat up pretty badly, too. So, I tend to dress more for comfort than style.

    BTW, I love those sheets. We're about due for a new set. I'll have to check out Target's selection. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!