Saturday, October 22, 2011

In the Thick of It!

Hello my fellow Read-a-Thonners (and anyone else stopping by). Today has been a rollercoaster. I've spent a good decent amount of time reading. While I spent a while with Alice I Have Been last night, I actually went back to one of my recent reads today: The Night Strangers, by Chris Bohjalian.

I've never read Bohjalian's work before, and it took me a little while to get into his style. He words things in odd (and to me) off-putting ways at times. His sentences can be convoluted and just funky. However, writing style aside, I'm starting to warm up to the characters a bit, and the creep factor seems to be kicking up a notch.

The middle part of my day was a reading wash. I had lunch with my mom, and after that I had a crazy, yucky headache kick in. I took an afternoon nap and must've laid positively wrong, and when I woke up it was worse than when I started. After a few doses of Excedrin and ibuprofen it went away, and I spent a while cleaning and straightening around the house. Now I'm settled in for the night and plan to get back to my reading as soon as I make at pass at Pinterest and visit Group Recipes to find a good spring roll recipe for this week. Don't ask. I've been on a spring roll kick for some reason.


I haven't gotten much bloggy visiting done this Read-a-Thon, but hopefully I can spend a few minutes doing that in the morning. I hope it's going well for everybody! Read like rockstars, ya'll!

7 comments:

  1. The only Bohjalian book I've read is Skeletons at the Feast and I loved it. Enjoy the rest of the readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found there's no such thing as a "pass" at Pinterest...I get carried away for hours and don't even realize how the time is passing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck tearing yourself away from Pinterest! I've spent many hours there even though I only planned to spend a couple of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SO wanted to read The Night Strangers until I read what it was about. And then I was scared. ;)

    Hope you're having a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I LOVE fresh spring rolls! Especially the ones with mint in them that you eat with plum sauce. SO GOOD!

    And, er, the books sound good, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad about your headache. Those spring rolls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read the Night Strangers!!
    I'm a Pinterest fanatic too =) I was on an eggroll kick for the longest time! Now it's cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!