Monday, October 31, 2011

The Poop on the Pages and Whatnot

Note: There is no discussion of actual poop in this post. 


Has your child ever gotten a raging case of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HMFD) from daycare? Mine has. I hope we don't do this again soon.

*KNOCKING ON WOOD*

Fever, mouth ulcers, palm ulcers, foot ulcers, crankiness, miserableness. Not a good time at all. He is on the mend and I don't have it.

*KNOCKING ON MORE WOOD*

Besides the illness gripping the house over the weekend, I carved a pumpkin for the first time ever. EVER. And I'll be 31 in just over a week. Before you think I'm awesome, I totally used a pattern. I also used a very sharp knife. I have no idea what those "safe companies" want me to do with an inch-long wheel perforation tool and a teeny tiny little saw of a knife. I used a real knife and I still have all my fingers.

Due to the illness, my child did not get to attend his daycare Halloween carnival, nor will he be trick-or-treating tonight. He will wear the costume for a family photoshoot next weekend and we will marvel at the cuteness.

Despite the illness, I actually READ A BOOK this weekend. Not a whole one. Don't get too excited. But I did start a book that interested me, which is a massive step in the right direction given my immense slumptitude of late. The book:


I know. This announcement is not terribly exciting given that I said last week (or sometime) that I was going to be reading this. I kind of didn't get around to it, and then Kim mentioned that it really captivated her, and then I thought back to all of Heather's good comments about it. So I dove in. And I am totally interested! Yay for Scarlett Letterness and Handmaid's Taleness!

If you were not in on the RIP VI readalong of The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson, shame on you. Kidding. It was a great discussion and made even more interesting when the author, Ms. Lawrenson herself, jumped in on the discussion! She wrote an e-mail to Carl, and then he posted it on his blog, and then there was talk amongst all parties. Well, except me. I didn't get in on it because of the preoccupation with the illness. But it's way cool! Go read Ms. Lawrenson's comments and the discussion that ensued.


Lastly and sadly, RIP VI ends today! I vowed to read four books, but alas, I only finished three. I'm pretty happy with that because those three books were super-fantastic: Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day, The Night Circus, and The Lantern. I certainly got my creepy, atmospheric fix, and I don't see a definite end to that current fixation.

Stay tuned for a personal challenge with which I plan to flog myself! Woohoo!

16 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease and am glad it missed our house! That sounds awful for Greyson and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's you're first ever punkin?!? And I thought I was deprived growing up without tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, apparently it's a pretty common virus in little ones. Especially in daycare situations where they all drool on the same toys. Not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination. :(

    Jill, I think my mom was a little shy of the "rotting pumpkin on the doorstep" thing. I think we did something to a pumpkin once, but it might've been painting instead of carving. Can't remember. That's how long ago it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my oldest had that hand, foot, mouth thing once when she was in daycare...highly contagious! I'm stunned you've never carved a pumpkin, but boy you outdid yourself on your first one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti, it is very contagious. Glad I don't have it (so far), as I tend to catch everything he brings home.

    And thank you! I enjoyed my pumpkin carving excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pumpkin is fabulous, really impressed pattern or no. What teeny tiny costume are you planning on dropping Grayson into?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jodie, thank you! And Greyson was a tiger this year. He likes to say "rawwr" and really enjoyed tackling trick-or-treaters to give them candy. Only at once piece himself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops -- "ate" one himself

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, hugs!! We are going into our third week of the three of us battling whatever funk it is she brought home...it came with ear infections for all, sinus infections for some, thrush for her - so, I feel you! I am glad G-man is on the mend and I hope you don't catch it! Love our daycare provider - hate the daycare germs. My only hope is that this means we won't go through this when she's in kindergarden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job on the pumpkin! Don't worry about the "31" thing. I don't think I've carved a pumpkin since I was in my early 20s. Then again, I don't generally do the Thanksgiving turkey or put up Christmas trees either. But by God, you should see me on St. Patrick's Day!

    Hope the illness passes by you without stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad about the baby having HFM. We had a scare with that a few years ago. Thank God, Oliver didn't have it. I hope Greyson gets better soon.

    I love your pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, I hate baby G got such a bad case! We were blessed that E had a really mild case. I hope he continues to be on the mend! I meant to email you back today, but, well, I'm not sure where the day went! Blah.

    And I AM SO HAPPY you are liking When She Woke! I knew you would, I just knew it. We must talk when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard really good things about When She Woke so hopefully it will help to break you out of your reading slump. I always go to mysteries when I'm in a reading slump and they never seem to fail to help break me out of one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not that there is ever any doubt that I am a SF geek, but that cover for When She Woke immediately made me think of a red alien female Jedi in her Jedi robe. I know, its sad really.

    I'm so sorry illness kept you out of the Lawrenson discussion. I was thrilled that she decided to take part in the discussion and am glad folks chimed in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor little Greyson! I hope he's fully recovered by now.

    BTW, that's an awesome pumpkin! It's been a long time since I carved one. The squirrels in our neighborhood are very pesky and tend to devour the pumpkins within hours of planting them out on the porch. Sigh.

    31? I loved my 30s. I'm looking at 50 in a few more weeks... I'm ok, though. No, really. I'm not at all bothered by that number. Not. At. All. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes, my son had the HFMD when he was nine months. It was a miserable few days for us both! I hope Greyson is all better now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!