Monday, October 31, 2011

The Poop on the Pages and Whatnot

Note: There is no discussion of actual poop in this post. 


Has your child ever gotten a raging case of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HMFD) from daycare? Mine has. I hope we don't do this again soon.

*KNOCKING ON WOOD*

Fever, mouth ulcers, palm ulcers, foot ulcers, crankiness, miserableness. Not a good time at all. He is on the mend and I don't have it.

*KNOCKING ON MORE WOOD*

Besides the illness gripping the house over the weekend, I carved a pumpkin for the first time ever. EVER. And I'll be 31 in just over a week. Before you think I'm awesome, I totally used a pattern. I also used a very sharp knife. I have no idea what those "safe companies" want me to do with an inch-long wheel perforation tool and a teeny tiny little saw of a knife. I used a real knife and I still have all my fingers.

Due to the illness, my child did not get to attend his daycare Halloween carnival, nor will he be trick-or-treating tonight. He will wear the costume for a family photoshoot next weekend and we will marvel at the cuteness.

Despite the illness, I actually READ A BOOK this weekend. Not a whole one. Don't get too excited. But I did start a book that interested me, which is a massive step in the right direction given my immense slumptitude of late. The book:


I know. This announcement is not terribly exciting given that I said last week (or sometime) that I was going to be reading this. I kind of didn't get around to it, and then Kim mentioned that it really captivated her, and then I thought back to all of Heather's good comments about it. So I dove in. And I am totally interested! Yay for Scarlett Letterness and Handmaid's Taleness!

If you were not in on the RIP VI readalong of The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson, shame on you. Kidding. It was a great discussion and made even more interesting when the author, Ms. Lawrenson herself, jumped in on the discussion! She wrote an e-mail to Carl, and then he posted it on his blog, and then there was talk amongst all parties. Well, except me. I didn't get in on it because of the preoccupation with the illness. But it's way cool! Go read Ms. Lawrenson's comments and the discussion that ensued.


Lastly and sadly, RIP VI ends today! I vowed to read four books, but alas, I only finished three. I'm pretty happy with that because those three books were super-fantastic: Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day, The Night Circus, and The Lantern. I certainly got my creepy, atmospheric fix, and I don't see a definite end to that current fixation.

Stay tuned for a personal challenge with which I plan to flog myself! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik