Friday, November 25, 2011

Belated Thanksgiving Wishes

I had best intentions of posting every day this week, but I also chose a bad week given the Thanksgiving holiday! Thanksgiving day itself was pretty uneventful around here. My mom and I shopped for Thanksgiving groceries in a near-deserted Wal-Mart. Halfway home on the interstate, I looked at my dear mother and said, "Do you know what we forgot?"

"What?" she asked.

THE HAM.

We went shopping and forgot our Thanksgiving ham. Turned right around and went back to get it.

Today was the Thanksgiving lunch for my mom's branch of the family, and I can safely say that Greyson is down for the count. He ran around with cousins, was passed from one to the other, and even played a little basketball out in the driveway.

It's always good to see the family whether it's actually on Thanksgiving day or not. As for Black Friday, typically I can do without it. Today I actually stopped by Barnes and Noble for 50% off a learning toy for Greyson's Christmas stash. I also made a stop by World Market for another gift -- also 50% off. Any other shopping I do will be online, and I have my doubts about even that!

In bookish news, I finished You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon, so expect a review of that one coming up soon. I'm starting The Sisters Brothers, a buddy read with Jill. Hopefully we have MUCH better luck than our last attempt -- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

I hope all my American friends had a wonderful holiday. And to my international buddies, I hope you've had a great week!

13 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a great Thanksgiving! I've read great things about the Fallon book. I can't wait to read your thoughts. Good luck on the buddy read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were better deals on B&N.com than at my local store. No movies, no music, no educational toys... But who doesn't like online shopping? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been shopping online for many years...I stay in the holiday spirit much longer if I stay out of the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving! I won't be doing much shopping and probably won't look for bargains. It seems the things my family wants never go on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very curious about the Sisters Brothers. I read the first chapter and found it a little annoying. But it's on so many best-of lists I feel I must be missing something. Hope you'll let us know how it is! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's super fab, Natasha! It's a review I'm REALLY looking forward to writing. My goal is to have it posted on Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trisha, I did some looking around at BN.com but ended up not grabbing anything. It was about the same on the toy given the price of shipping.

    I loooove me some online shopping. Definitely plan to do more of it before Christmas hits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Patti. That sounds reasonable to me. I hate hate hate crowds. Mostly because I'm short and can't see above anyone's shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, I know what you mean. Most of my family's items won't go on sale either, but I'm pretty good at grabbing a stocking stuffer deal here and there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BookStop, so far so good on The Sisters Brothers. It is written in an odd style. Eli and Charlie come across as much more educated than I would associate with thieves and hitmen of that particular time period. I'm hoping to learn more about that aspect of the book as I read, and I hope it's rooted in the story instead of just a narrative choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've started?? I have about 50 pages left of iSteve, so I'm looking at starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you had a fun Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated wishes right back at you! I was lazy for most of the holiday time off but did manage to cook a turkey and do some reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!