Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Post-Birthday Wrap-Up and Bookish Miscellany

Word.

I survived my birthday and my birthday weekend! My actual birthday was a plethora of work-related frivolity. My boss brought me a Starbucks skinny caramel macchiato in the morning and bought me a Chinese lunch. Our registrar brought me a miniature cake covered in scads of frosting and a surprise birthday balloon. The group (5 Program Chairs and the Librarian), surprised me with another cake AND flowers at our afternoon meeting. Oh, AND they gave me the most wonderful, work-inappropriate card and a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card!

And did I mention we all went out for drinks after work??? There are pics of myself in a handmade paper birthday crown posing with a Scotch egg (boiled egg covered in sausage and deep fried, served with spicy mustard and relish). And the egg had a candle in it. Ahem! Much fun was had by all, and I can't even tell you how much I appreciated their efforts. Talk about feeling wonderful at work!

Thanks to ALL of the wonderful folks who wished me a happy birthday on Facebook or here on the blog. I was most definitely feeling the love!!!



The weekend was low key: some time with Greyson, some time spent with my mom with cake and goodies, some minimal class grading, some reading.

Which leads me to my current books!!! After I finished up Bad Marie, I started Everything is Going to Be Great by Rachel Shukert. While she's a lovely, deranged individual, the book just isn't clicking form me. I'm having much better luck with You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon. More on that one to come!

What are you reading? And would you consume a be-candled Scotch egg? Or a regular one, at that?!

25 comments:

  1. Gah scotch egg, blarg :P Gald you had a great birthday. Aren't the people at your work nice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! They are very nice. And the Scotch egg was very blarg. I was not impressed, though it's fun to say I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I missed your birthday! I'm so out of touch these days. So happy belated! I'm glad you had a good time. Personally, I love Scotch eggs if they're done well, though I prefer them to have a mix of sausage and ground beef on the outside, so it's not too sausage-y. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I think I was expecting more spice (the Texan in me). My grandmother used to make "armadillo eggs" which were mostly jalapeno and less egg. But there was also sausage! I fear I had that image stuck in my head. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  5. You work with some awesome people! That sounds like a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm assured by my brother that scotch eggs are lovely. Though I'll take his word for that. The one in the picture doesn't look like a nice one though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Back in my days pre-vegan, I ate Scotch eggs and enjoyed it. I had to dip it into ketchup or mustard or something, since it can be a bit too dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'd like the egg.

    I missed having office mates to celebrate me on my birthday this year, glad yours spoiled you rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, your coworkers sound awesome! Mine are pretty great, too, but really -- lots of fabulous eats. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a fabulous birthday. I probably wouldn't try that egg, but I bet my husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I wish you a happy birthday? I don't think I did...so happy belated birthday!!

    And ummm, hell no on the scotch egg. With or without the candle. I don't even like hardboiled eggs. Or mayonnaise. I've got a thing against egg whites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of scotch eggs before! Interesting. Yay for a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! The boyfriend really likes Scotch eggs, even though I don't love them. I just started The Marriage Plot and I think it is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you had a good birthday. I love a a good Scotch egg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday! Welcome to 31. It's nice here, so far, I think. I really enjoyed You Know the Men Are Gone, even though I'm not a huge short story fan. It was so thematic, it read like a novel for me at times. Enjoy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday again! And you have me very curiuos which restaurant you got the Scotch Egg from. Never heard of such a thing but I'm guessing my husband would LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephanie, it was supa-fantastic! My work peeps are the best. Just wanna give 'em a big group hug.

    Stu, the Scotch egg was underwhelming. I like the idea, but the execution left something to be desired.

    Natalie, dry! Yes! I was loving the spicy mustard with it, though ketchup would've been good too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa, thank you very much. They went over and beyond with the spoilage. Much fun was had by all.

    Thank you, Meg! The eating is always my favorite part. Give me a cocktail and a bucket of icing.

    carpetbagger, I might need to try again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kathy, you're probably right. It strikes me as a man-dish in many respects.

    Jill, what did the eggs do to you? Wait, maybe I'd rather not know. lol

    Natasha, I'd never heard of them either until I saw them on this pub menu. Interesting, indeed!

    Kim, I know I'm going to have to try The Marriage Plot, even if I do kind of roll my eyes when Eugenides' name comes up. I just haven't had good luck, but I'm also not a quitter. Not totally. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Thomas! Cheers to the Scotch eggs!

    Carrie, I don't think I realized it was a collection of stories when I started, but I'm glad it is. I don't think I could've handled the woman in the first story for a whole novel. Ugg!

    Trish, Sherlock's Pub! If you haven't been, there's one in Addison and one right off of 75 on the way into downtown -- across from North Park mall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much, Care!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had never heard of Scotch eggs before reading this post, but now THAT IS ALL I WANT TO EAT. Oh it sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Belated birthday. I'm glad you got to feel special on your day. P.S darn that Scotch egg looks good. All I need is some good hot sauce and my lunch is done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!