Sunday, November 06, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Le Weird Weekend

An earthquake in Oklahoma? Setting the clocks back in November? My 31st birthday in four days? Overall, just weird. It's been a weird (but good) week and weekend.

Baby G is staying with family and I've had almost 24 hours of time to do whatever I want. We had a freak Internet outage yesterday, so while I'd planned to knock out scads of grading for my online classes, I ended up playing SIMS2 for several hours. Not that playing SIMS isn't wonderful, but it was most certainly not in the productive plan. On the productive side, I did laundry, changed sheets, cleaned (I can almost close my closet door now), and my mom took me shopping for some pre-birthday birthday gifts: two pairs of ballet flats I can wear for work or play (one pewter, one bronze).

On the reading front, I'm still chugging along with Bad Marie, and I'm wondering how bad things are going to get for Marie! She's pretty clueless about life in general and responsibility, but there are also some pretty crazy external happenings working on Marie. It's gonna be a big ole train wreck, I'm sure, I just don't know what the carnage will involve yet.

In my previous post, I asked you lovely bloggy readers what type of books you depend on to bust your slumps. Natasha from 1330V mentioned graphic novels. I used to count graphic novels among my favorite go-to reading, but graphic novel and comics reading has really fallen by the wayside for me in the last few years. I suspect it's a side effect of having devoted SO much time to them in graduate school, but I also expect it's because they don't travel so well.

Many of the graphic novels on my shelves at home are CHUNKsters, fo' sho'. Watch for a post on my graphic novel TBR to post tomorrow. Easily-stuck-in-purse or not, I think I'm going to make more of a concerted effort to tackle my unread graphic novels in coming months (and early next year).

For now, I'm off to let shower water run over my head in hopes of killing this bitchin' headache I woke up with. Is it sinus pressure? Is it tension? Who the heck knows, so I took meds for both. Exciting Sunday, eh?

13 comments:

  1. Happy Early Birthday! It's amazing what can get done when we're unplugged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you had an interesting weekend :) My house needs lots of cleaning which is probably what I'm going to do all day long. Hope you find some quality reading time in there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To bust the reading slump? I just inhaled Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford and am now deep into A Visit from the Goon Squad for work book group. Was not excited about that one but it has surprised me in many ways so far. Your baby break sounds wonderful! I would not worry too much about productivity. Have a happy, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Chris! And yes, it is. I've come to a point that I rarely turn my home computer on during the week, and only on the weekends when Greyson is out of the house. It's made me much more productive around the house but hasn't helped on the reading front so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your cleaning, Samantha!!! I need to do more than I did, but it'll suffice for this weekend. :)

    Frances, would love to know your thoughts on Goon Squad when you finish. I read it earlier in the year and decidedly did not like it. It was surprising in many ways and it had moments of greatness, but overall I wasn't terribly impressed. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can't be your darling haircut causing that headache! Maybe lots of Tylenol extra strength and a nap is what's required along with your shower. Bustin' a reading slump? Cleaning the house! After that, anything looks appealing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Sims can be such a time suck! I hope you have a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like graphic novels for helping with a reading slump, although sometimes I finish them so quickly it doesn't feel like they've made a difference, you know? But chunkster graphic novels definitely could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andi, I hope you're able to get rid of your headache! I woke up with one this morning too. I'm blaming it on Daylight Savings Time. I can't wait to see your graphic novels TBR post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see your graphic novel TBR. My GN reading has been much less than usual this year as well - for a completely unknown reason as a matter of fact. I do have quite a few on the shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday week, fellow Scorpio! Hope it's fab, fab, fab.

    On a side note, I love ballet flats as well, but I really, really heart my TOMS. Have you tried TOMS shoes? They're a bit pricey but they donate a pair to a needy person whenever you buy and they are magnifique for the feet. I'm in lurrrrve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Early Birthday to you! 31? You are yet a child!

    Hope you are feeling better today.

    I don't get into too many reading slumps, thankfully. When I do it is usually a general slump and has little to do with reading. I find that if I return to old favorites, be they books, films, video games, etc. that feeling of nostalgia usually pulls me out of my funk and sets me right again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, 31 delicious years! I liked that celebration. Happy early Birthday to you!

    The big OK earthquake was definitely a freak-out. I'm kind of sad that I missed it. You know, just a token earthquake would be fun, nothing that'll kill a gal. I missed a Tokyo earthquake by 2 days. Argh! TWO DAYS!!!! I so wanted to feel the earth move.

    My current reading-slump busters are YA and really good writing. The latter is tricky but I seem to be just flipping through older books, sometimes classics, when I'm in dire straits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!