Saturday, December 10, 2011

2011 Virtual Advent Tour, Day 10: Festive Food

Happy adventing! This is my first time participating in the Virtual Advent Tour and I'm tickled to be sharing a little holiday cheer with you all.  As I've been reading through others' posts the last several days, I've been at a bit of a loss as to what I'd like to post for my appearance.

A couple of nights ago I experienced a mad urge to bake, and the idea was born! There are a number of Christmas traditions in my family, and seasonal food tends to stand out. Like so many others, I experience an urge to cook and bake more during the holiday season, and I'm always a fan of simple, delicious recipes that won't suck away a ton of time.

I also feel an urge to share food with my friends, family, and co-workers this time of year, so I recently whipped up a batch of Pecan Pie Muffins for co-workers. This is a ridiculously simple recipe that provides a warm, comfy start to the day. Despite the name, they aren't wildly sweet, but they have a great texture and the taste of brown sugar always gets me into a holiday mood. Without further ado...

Pecan Pie Muffins


1 cup of light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 18 mini muffin tins or line with paper muffin liners
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and pecans. In a separate bowl beat the butter and eggs together until smooth, stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Cups should be about 2/3 full
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done

Note: As much as I love mini-muffins, I find that the texture of these can be a little bit tough when they're that small. I prefer to make a double batch of the batter and cook these in standard muffin tins. 

If you have an opportunity to whip up your own batch of Pecan Pie Muffins, I hope you enjoy them! 

28 comments:

  1. They sound delicious and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look wonderful! I love muffins, and I love pecan pie, so this recipe sounds perfect for me. I often do a lot of baking with my daughter over the holidays, and we make a ton of stuff, and this is something that I would like to add in to the mix. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, thank you for sharing this recipe, and excellent advent idea! I will definitely try this one, because while I like pecans and the idea of a pie made with them, I can never get over the texture. these muffins sound brilliant.

    ~L (omphaloskepsis)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks for sharing what sounds like a great, seasonal recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I need some ideas for a few dinners coming up, so I hope people continue sharing recipes. :) I can't believe this is your first time participating. So happy you joined in this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sound yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 ingredients? That's my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, those sound so good. We'll have to give them a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look good! I like that it is an easy recipe too! I'm not much of a cook/baker so I look for simple things like this to have hubby make (seriously he does all the cooking/baking here). I think I'm going to take your advice and double the recipe and have hubby make these for me next time I help out with hospitality at church; thanks for the recipe!

    I hope you and your family have a very nice Christmas season!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! These sound delicious!

    Whilst this may be your first time participating, I certainly hope it isn't your last! Thanks for joining in this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your muffins look and sound great! I'm going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MUFFINS ROCK! I am not a fan of nuts in my foods though (except Snickers..lol..) I would sub them out. They looks DELISH!
    TY for sharing them :)
    Advent Tour Day 11

    ReplyDelete
  14. MUFFINS ROCK! I am not a fan of nuts in my foods though (except Snickers..lol..) I would sub them out. They looks DELISH!
    TY for sharing them :)
    Advent Tour Day 11

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm those sound so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these sound so yummy AND easy! I am definitely looking forward to making them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy, totally easy. It's one of those recipes that people tend to really like and assume is harder to put together than it really is. :D

    Zibilee, thanks for stopping by! I hope these muffins are a hit for you. :D

    Contemplatrix, the texture is lovely in these muffins. They're chewy, but not too tough. Dense and crunchy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sprite, they are delicious! HOpe you have an opportunity to try them if they're up your alley.

    Ok, which advent helper is commenting??! I can't believe this is my first year either! I'm late to the party.

    Thanks for stopping by, Pepca!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping in, Better is Possible!

    Amen, Jill! And whenever I get an urge to bake I can usually pull these off. I don't run out of these ingredients very often.

    I hope you like them if you get around to them, Nancy!

    Thanks, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Betty, I think these would be a great church item. They're warm and delicious, in my opinion. :)

    Marg, it will most definitely NOT be my last. Thanks for having me!

    Enjoy, Natasha!!!

    Thanks, Kim!

    Books and Beyond, they'd be delicious without them, too. Brown sugar awesome!

    Thanks, Court!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Courtney! I hope you love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet my husband would love these. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shut your mouth! Pecan Pie Muffins? Oh my gosh!!

    And lately the holidays is the only time I bake, but isn't it the best to share with others? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh. My. Goodness. You had me at Pecan. *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Andi, this recipe looks delicious and my favorite part about it is how few ingredients! I love that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!