Wednesday, January 04, 2012

And Thus the Energy Was Sucked Out - Tell Me Yo' Classics!

Penguin spines...because they're purty...
Oy! Back to work and my brain is already mush. Yesterday I was so busy at work all day I couldn't manage to actually post anything. Today my energy and inspiration are flagging again, but such is to be expected at the beginning of a new term (in which I am teaching a FRIDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING CLASS).

But I digress...

My actual point in posting this posty post is to get some ideas for classics I simply cannot miss in 2012. I have a short "wishlist" of titles I'd like to tackle on my Nook, but alas, I am a glutton for ideas. Let's start this way...below is a list of some of my tippy top most favoritest classics. Now you tell me what else I should add to my want list for the year...


  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for its wonky lady characters in all their quirkiness
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens because it was full of twists, turns, and one particular sacrifice that broke my heart
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald for being gorgeous and for showing me the Roaring 20s
  • The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck for taking me on an immersive (immersing? immersative? immersionary? know what I mean) ride through time and Chinese culture
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury for being so darned clever, full of bookishness (in its own way) and for showing me that classics can be twisted
  • Antigone by Sophocles for showing me that the REALLY old classics can still rock. And the drama was delicious.
  • Night by Elie Wiesel because it's the most affecting Holocaust story I've ever read.
  • The Professor's House by Willa Cather because it's beautiful and meaningful and deceptively simple.
While this little list does not encompass all of my favorites, these are the ones that jump immediately to mind. I'm sure I'll begin kicking myself for leaving out something yummy any time now. 

Ok, now, start recommending. GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik