Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Monday! And a Book Slide!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila from BookJourney!

I'm sort of cheating today. Sort of! I got ahead of myself and talked about my current reading for The Sunday Salon yesterday, so today's Monday reading report is a little different.

When I read the list of books for The Morning News Tournament of Books, 2012, I immediately went out to my library's website and added them all (nearly ALL, seriously) to my library holds list. It's ridonkulous how many people are in front of me for most of the books, but as is usually the case, they all come in at once!

I got a notice that the first book available from my list is Ann Patchett's State of Wonder! I've been excited about this one since before it was published, but I've been dragging bootay on actually reading it. This is one I'd love to purchase since I hate dragging around bulky hardbacks, but as my wallet is currently squished under the load of books I'd like to buy, I'll be sticking with the library's copy and hoping I don't develop carpal tunnel from holding it. Also, I have an employee with a VERY similar name to Ann Patchett. Kinda weird!

The next available book on my holds list should be Open City by Teju Cole. I sincerely hope it'll be at least a week until it comes in. Else I might be crushed by my gigantic amount of holds getting ready to tumble into my hands.

On the non-library side, I received a copy of Paris My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate) by Amy Thomas a couple of days ago. Sourcebooks offered to send this one, and after reading the sample chapters, I was hooked! I accepted another foodie, travel memoir from them last year: Tout Sweet by Karen Wheeler. I loved that one, so I have really high hopes. This looks like just the thing for a fun, bookish getaway. Also, I'll be singing the praises for Sourcebooks in the near future. In my experience, they are a model for how publishers should interact with freelance book reviewers and bloggers. Hurrah!

So that's it for now! Those are the newest goodies to fall into my hands, and I'm sure there will be copious others in coming weeks.

What new books have you snatched lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik