Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Monday! And a Book Slide!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila from BookJourney!


I'm sort of cheating today. Sort of! I got ahead of myself and talked about my current reading for The Sunday Salon yesterday, so today's Monday reading report is a little different.

When I read the list of books for The Morning News Tournament of Books, 2012, I immediately went out to my library's website and added them all (nearly ALL, seriously) to my library holds list. It's ridonkulous how many people are in front of me for most of the books, but as is usually the case, they all come in at once!

I got a notice that the first book available from my list is Ann Patchett's State of Wonder! I've been excited about this one since before it was published, but I've been dragging bootay on actually reading it. This is one I'd love to purchase since I hate dragging around bulky hardbacks, but as my wallet is currently squished under the load of books I'd like to buy, I'll be sticking with the library's copy and hoping I don't develop carpal tunnel from holding it. Also, I have an employee with a VERY similar name to Ann Patchett. Kinda weird!


The next available book on my holds list should be Open City by Teju Cole. I sincerely hope it'll be at least a week until it comes in. Else I might be crushed by my gigantic amount of holds getting ready to tumble into my hands.

On the non-library side, I received a copy of Paris My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (and Dark Chocolate) by Amy Thomas a couple of days ago. Sourcebooks offered to send this one, and after reading the sample chapters, I was hooked! I accepted another foodie, travel memoir from them last year: Tout Sweet by Karen Wheeler. I loved that one, so I have really high hopes. This looks like just the thing for a fun, bookish getaway. Also, I'll be singing the praises for Sourcebooks in the near future. In my experience, they are a model for how publishers should interact with freelance book reviewers and bloggers. Hurrah!

So that's it for now! Those are the newest goodies to fall into my hands, and I'm sure there will be copious others in coming weeks.

What new books have you snatched lately?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Estella, I just happened upon your blog! My book club is reading State of Wonder next month and I am looking forward to reading it. This month's book is The Marriage Plot and I am just about to start it! Have you read it? I have heard very mixed reviews on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I put a couple of books on hold at the library, they ALWAYS come in at the same time. Paris My Sweet sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris My Sweet is a recent snag too. It sounds so good. If only I can hurry up and finish the books I'm in the middle of now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. State of Wonder is just such an amazingly wonderful and weird book, and I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Such a great book. And I know what you mean about the library holds. It seems like all my books always come at the same time, which screws up my reading plans! I need to see if I can grab a few of the books on the list too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you, re: Sourcebooks interaction. They are friendly, respond to questions quickly, understanding if you can't get through a title -- wonderful to deal with in every way.

    I've got Paris My Sweet. I started it and set it aside because I became obsessed with some other titles, but I'll get back to it. Her writing style is nice and breezy. Love that. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The library holds thing happens to me all the time - nothing for a while and then suddenly an avalanche of holds coming in! Paris My Sweet sounds good - I'm going to add it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you'll enjoy State of Wonder! Is it really such a big book? I read the ARC, which had thick paper (but had a soft cover) and that wasn't very big at all.

    Anyway, it's a great book, I thought and I hope you'll enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FridayMorningBookClub, thanks for stopping in! I haven't read The Marriage Plot yet, but I hope to actually receive it from my library one of these days when the longggg list of holds dies down.

    Kathy, I'm really looking forward to Paris My Sweet. I think it'll be a nice breezy break for my brain one of these days (soon).

    Natasha, I know the feeling. I'm in the middle of more than I usually tackle at once. :)

    Heather, I'm only on page 35 so far, and it's beginning to speed up a bit. It was slow in the initial pages, but I can already tell there will be some really interesting ethical dilemmas to deal with.

    Nancy, aren't they FABULOUS! I'm always seriously impressed and excited to work with them. I love a breezy travel memoir! Looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belle, it's the story of my life. I'm just waiting for something else to inch in the door. lol Enjoy Paris My Sweet if you get around to it!

    leeswammes, it's really not such a big book. I'm totally spoiled to carrying my Nook around, so in my mind any hardcover is a "big" book that's unwieldy and hard to deal with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Estella: I recently read State of Wonder and I very much liked it - it took awhile and I loved Patchett's Run a lot more, but in the end, it was a really great book. Enjoy, Ruby

    http://yearofreadingmybooks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, Ruby! State of Wonder is getting really good now. It was slow in the early pages for me, but it's picked up a lot around page 75. Looking forward to reading more! I have had mixed luck with Patchett's fiction, so I'm' doubly excited about this one. I also have RUN on my shelves at home, so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. :)

    Heather, Drool is right! Reading about the chocolate alone may make me gain five pounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, the curse of library holds arriving all at once! I hope you can avoid it. I tore through State of Wonder in record time, and I hope you're still enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hm. Anne Patchett--name keeps coming to my attention since I read (for another challenge) a book by her mother, Jeanne Ray. Had no idea who Anne Patchett was, but maybe I should? Seems meant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My holds are the same way. I wait and wait... and wait and finally all ten come in at once! Of course I'm on the wait list for usually over 20 books at a time, so that's probably the problem! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also received Paris My Sweet and loved it very much. here is my review: http://wordsandpeace.com/2012/02/01/i-love-france-14-review-6-2012-paris-my-sweet/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!