Friday, January 13, 2012

SHUT the Front Door! Tournament of Books MADNESS!

Did you all hear me SCREAM this morning when I realized the 2012 Tournament of Books shortlist was posted?! I haven't checked the site in a couple of days and those sneaky little Morning News critters got past me! In the last year, this event has become the SUPER BOWL of my reading. Last year I personally challenged myself to read all of the TOB books. While I did not succeed in reading them all, it was FABULOUS guidance, and I'm looking forward to reading even more from this year's list. 

If you're not familiar with The Morning News Tournament of Books, you'll need to start by reading this hilarious explanation. Lots of irreverence and fun here, people. Including a reader judge this year who's serving a year in jail for a non-violent offense. YEAH!!!! Zombie Round voting is also going on, so once you read the explanation, vote for your fave Zombie and get in on the democratic reading action. 

So if you're wondering exactly how seriously I take this whole thing, I'll need to show you pics to prove it. 

These are both pics of my office door taken with my crappy iPhone 3GS (thus, the horrible quality). As soon as I read the TOB post this morning, I started scurrying around the office printing the brackets. I even made up my own Zombie Round promotional flier for the door. If you're wondering if it's kosher to use office equipment for this purpose, I call this PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT. I'm a composition and lit teacher for heaven's sake! 

I should also mention that I ran screaming through the office laughing maniacally and exclaiming my joy. I promptly handed out brackets to anyone within earshot. Since my two fellow English instructors aren't here yet today, I took the liberty of posting the brackets in their cubicles. 

So ARE YOU READY to read?!!! You should read with me! You really should! The official tournament starts on March 7th, and I'll be sucking down as many of the following novels as possible between now and then. 

  • Nathacha Appanah, The Last Brother
  • Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending (already read)
  • Teju Cole, Open City
  • Helen DeWitt, Lightning Rods
  • Patrick deWitt, The Sisters Brothers (already read)
  • Jeffrey Eugenides, The Marriage Plot
  • Chad Harbach, The Art of Fielding
  • Alan Hollinghurst, Stranger’s Child
  • Jesmyn Ward, Salvage the Bones
  • Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
  • Téa Obreht, The Tiger’s Wife
  • Michael Ondaatje, The Cat’s Table
  • Ann Patchett, State of Wonder
  • Donald Ray Pollock, Devil All the Time
  • Karen Russell, Swamplandia
  • Kate Zambreno, Green Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik