Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Sunday Salon - First Book Finished! And Stuff.

Morning, y'all! I don't have much time to spend online this morning, but I wanted to pop in and share my reading weekend thus far.

Yesterday was a busy day from start to finish. I dropped Greyson off to spend some time with the fam, ran some errands, picked up a dresser for Greyson that I'd put on layaway a while back, reclaimed two of my dresser drawers, had a late lunch, and cleaned, cleaned, CLEANED. Oh, and I finished off the day with a margarita in a bag. Ahem!  I also found a few minutes to finish up my first book of 2012, and it was a great way to start the year. You can expect a fond review of Yoko Ogawa's The Housekeeper and the Professor early this week.

In other bookish news, I had an epiphany this week. I've had an Estella's Revenge (Lite) Tumblr site for a while, but I've been unsure exactly how to use it and haven't publicized it very much. To this point I've used it to share quotes from my current reading but I've been very inconsistent in posting, though it is a great way to keep up with those passages I want to remember.

The epiphany this week was a new way to utilize Tumblr that still integrates my reading. As I'm reading, I'll be posting passages, pictures, articles, movies, music, and other "artifacts" that relate to my reading. I suppose I'm using it as sort of a "commonplace book" to accompany the books I ingest. It's a fun idea for me -- a visual representation of my reading in any given year-- and I hope you'll follow along if you also use Tumblr. I need some other Tumblr feeds to follow myself and haven't spend as much time "friending" over there as I'd like to.

This week I posted links and images from some other mathematically-related literature I love: the play, Proof by David Auburn, and the film adaptation. I also shared some images of Japanese items I enjoy (sushi, cherry blossoms), and some written passages (of course!). I'll be digging even further into this plan with my next read...


That's right! I've never read Wicked even though I've had it on my stacks forever. Where have I heard that before??! I didn't have the physical book in my possession this week, so I found an inexpensive copy and downloaded it to my Nook, and I'm off and running. So far it's a lot of fun, and I have some creative Tumblr ideas for this one.

I'll be drafting some posts for this week later on today. With the start of our academic term in full swing, I have lots to do! Faculty to chase, paperwork to square away, files to update, and FOUR CLASSES to teach on-ground (in addition to the two online). Yeah, it's one of THOSE terms! But it's OK. I love what I do.  I'll be around commenting when my brain goes up in smoke, and I hope you're all having a great weekend with a calm and peaceful week ahead.

Have a drink for me.

12 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how happy I am to have discovered your blog so I can add even more to my must read pile. I loved Wicked. I hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I have a Tumblr too and I even used it regularly for a bit... Now I haven't been on in ages! I guess it got to be too much to remember to update something else... Glad you found a use for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have A drink for you? I think we should have two or three . . . Good luck this term!

    P. S. I LOVE Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with Tumblr as a blog site...although I have visited blogs there.

    I had a Live Journal space for awhile, but I never remember to go there or update anything....

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your first book was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great use for tumblr. I'm too scared to get sucked in, though! Heck, I can't even keep up with GoodReads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read The Housekeeper and the Professor as well...already have it on my WishList...Oldest daughter has read all the Wicked books except the newest. She loved them until we saw the show on Broadway. She says the show is nothing like the books :( I intend on reading them myself to see what's she's so upset about. Glad your first read was a good one; mine was too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Wicked; I really really enjoyed that story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, I love your idea for tumblr!!! I sort of slacked off from using it, or even remembering to check it...and that totally sucks because I really do enjoy it. You've just given me incentive to get my butt in gear and start popping in again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, I'm glad to have you! So far, so good on Wicked. It's a really fun book, and I can't wait to read more.

    Kelly, I was pretty gung ho in the beginning, but like I said, I always felt a little iffy about where it really fit in for me. Hopefully now that I have a little clearer vision, I'll actually use it more.

    Emily, or six! I'm not opposed. :) And thank you. This term might be a bear.

    Laurel, it's really hard to update multiple outlets, but I typically do my fun stuff during my lunch hour, Tumblr included.

    Thanks, Kathy! I think it's setting a good tone for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Jill! It's a lunch hour process for me. And when I do have a slow day I don't feel too bad updating my stuff at work.

    Patti, the show came through Dallas a few years ago, and while I was REALLY tempted, I didn't go. I've heard so many great things about the books, I just couldn't resist. I received the 4th book unsolicited from the publisher, and that gave me a little extra incentive to start reading.

    Trisha, I'm liking it so far! And it'll be my first chunkster in a personal chunkster challenge for the year!

    Thanks, Debi! I hope if you're able to get back into it that you enjoy it greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Six drinks it is. I will get right on it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik