Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Sunday Salon - Something WICKED!

It's early in the day on Sunday, and I have quite a few online class items to take care of. Icebreaker posts to read, new work to post, but I had to take a minute to Salon with you all. I took the day off from blogging yesterday. I ran some errands in the morning -- clothes to purchase for Rocketgirl, a haircut for Greyson -- and I spent the afternoon finally really digging into Wicked. I was embarrassed that I was only on page 80 or so after a week of reading, and I figured I just needed to sit down and dig into the world Maguire is creating. And it worked like a charm. I read over 100 pages, and I'm hopelessly devoted. 

I am rapidly falling in love. How many times have I said this about a book I put off reading for a scandalously long time? Once "everyone else" in the world has read it, I pick it up and fall in ooey gooey love and gush to the choir.

I won't go into full-on review mode because I do want to review this book in full when I'm done, but I'm really enjoying getting to know the cast of characters and I'm enjoying the political bent of this novel. Oz is not a happy place to be: coups, revolutions, terrorism, issues of civil rights. While I had an iffy impression of Maguire after reading The Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister several years ago, I am pleased to be having this good a time with Wicked. While I haven't been very good at following series lately, I'm excited that there's more to come in this series. I received the final book, Out of Oz, from the publisher a while back, so that's good incentive to buy Son of a Witch and Lion Among Men.

I'll be picking Greyson up early in the afternoon, so I need to finish my online work, get away from the computer, and get back to my book. What's in store this week at olde Estella's Revenge? I'm stewing on a couple of posts, but foremost is a discussion of Chunkster novels and what they mean to me. In other words, why they scare the heck out of me. I really enjoyed the discussion on the "reading tart" post, so maybe delving into more of my self-proclaimed flaws will spur on more discussion! :D

I hope you all have a fantastic, bookish day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik