Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Randomness

Greyson woke me up at 5:30 this morning, and I don't have to be at work until 9:00, so I thought I'd stop in to say good morning. The coffee is flowing, but actual thoughts haven't congealed yet. Alas, you get randomness in all its glory.

I turned on the Cooking Channel this morning, and I'm faced with a very young, clean-shaven chef Aar√≥n Sanchez from 2002. He wasn't cute or charming back then. 

My child, who was formerly terrified of the bathtub has now come to terms with bathing outside of the sink. It's all thanks to an inflatable duck named Howard (apropos, yes?). I now have a hard time getting him out of the bathroom as he enjoys standing at the side of the tub, waving, saying, "HI HOWARD!" over and over again.

I have a bad case of the Too-Many-Good-Books-To-Read. I'm LOVING State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I'm moving through it at a good clip. I also have other Tournament of Books books staring at me from the sidelines. Along with a copy of The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. They're all calling to me at once! Oh, and an e-book copy of Swamplandia by Karen Russell came in from the library. Ugg!

I love my Keurig coffee maker. LOVE!

I went to my favorite independent bookstore in the universe this past weekend. a Real Bookstore, in Fairview, TX! They have a great cafe, which I've mentioned here before because it sells booze. Books and booze! But they also sell yummy pastries and panini sandwiches and whatnot. I was about to gnaw my own leg off so I purchased this (click to embiggen)...


And it is a sandwich which will change your life. It's called the "Three's Company Grilled Cheese." It's a panini filled with white cheddar, gruyere, and goat cheese, and it is a force to be reckoned with. It's served with a side of raspberry jam to cut some of the richness of the cheese and a healthy helping of Kettle potato chips. OMG, y'all. This grilled cheese DID change my life. I won't eat it often, or I'd blow up to the size of the store, but it was so, SO tasty You can read more about it in the Dallas Business Journal. That's how good this sandwich really is!

I should also mention that I ordered a red velvet whoopie pie to go along with my sandwich. I had to save it for later because I was so full of melty, gooey cheese, but it was beyond fabulous. So tasty. If you haven't been to a Real Bookstore and you live in the Dallas area (or ya know, within five or six hours), go to this store. Just do it. 25% discount for educators, too. Just sayin'. 

Finally, just because he's cute...



18 comments:

  1. My word, that boy is adorable! I just want to chew him up. :)

    Kinda have the same thing going on...too many good books lying here...it's a bit overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a case of the wiggles when it comes to having too many good books to read and not enough time. I am actually looking forward to getting some reading time in this weekend, as I am only a short stop away from having an open reading schedule!!!

    Your baby boy is beautiful by the way. Just such a handsome little guy, with a great smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds like my kind of grilled cheese! ;)

    Greyson is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! :)

    My little guy doesn't mind the bath tub but is still scared of the shower!

    Ah I am envious. There doesn't seem to be an independent bookstore near me....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy = adorable. Sandwich = amazing. Reading = delightful. Hope your day has been lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Real Bookstore is always a highlight of my trips to Dallas - that and my grandson Connor, of course!
    I'll have to try that sandwich next time I'm there.

    Your son is just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tammy, isn't he?? and I'm not biased or anything. :) It's a good kind of overwhelming, but still overwhelming.

    Heather, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I should get some good chunks of reading in over the weekend, too. I'm hoping to finish State of Wonder AND maybe even zip through The Last Brother (it's really short). And thank you! He's the happiest toddler I know. :)

    Anna, it was ROCK AWESOME. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olduvai, Greyson's dad took him into the shower when he was super tiny and he was SO not a fan. I was afraid that's what made him scared of the bath, but he seems to be getting over it quite nicely. As for indie bookstores, I had NO IDEA this one was near me until a few months ago. I think I started go there last summer, and the level of customer service is just astounding. Such a great place.

    Audra, agreed on all counts! I think I need to keep a cheese stash for making those at home. Once a quarter or something. lol

    LOL, thanks, Kathleen! And I'm gonna use "adorbs" all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Becca! And isn't a Real Bookstore amazing? I just didn't know how much customer service was lacking in other stores until I went there. They're helpful and fun without being annoying. And the educator discount is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is ADORABLE!

    I think you may have come upon the salvation of book stores - a liquor license!! Set up chairs like in those old men's clubs in England with a side table for a book and a drink. I do think this may be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your son is indeed very cute :)

    I want to read State of Wonder soon but I am juggling many library books at the moment. I'm also reading The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, that I wanted so much to like/love, but I'm finding it a bit....blah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greyson is so adorable! I can picture him standing by the tub waving to Howard. I think every kid should get to know a duck called Howard at some time in their lives. Loving your randomness this afternoon, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe how big he is getting...it goes so fast!! I love when I have so many good books that I want to read except when I can't get to them all :) And they always seem to come in at the library at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book store sounds amazing and so does the sandwich. He is certainly adorable. Sounds like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. he is so cute! And I am loving t he tip aboutt the duck...E HATES being bathed in the tub and infinitely prefers her infant tub which she is quickly outgrowing.
    That grilled cheese sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell Howard I said hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, he's cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!