Friday, February 24, 2012

Tasks, Tasks Everywhere!

Reading what??? Books? Yeah, no.

I have had a hard time digging into my reading the last week or so because of all the HAPPENINGS. Not surprising at all, I'm sure. I laid aside Teju Cole's Open City. It was a gorgeous book, and I'm certain I'll come back to it, but I just cannot do a meandering plot right now.

I started on Cinder earlier in the week and it's admittedly not sucking me in immediately. I think I'm still in the mood for something more adult-fictiony but not overly cerebral. SO, I dove into Eowyn Ivey's The Snow Child last night, and I think it's going to do the trick. The writing is lovely and I'm already feeling the tug of wanting to read further.

From the opening pages...
Mabel had known there would be silence. That was the point after all. No infants cooing or wailing. No neighbor children playfully hollering down the lane. No pad of small feet on wooden stairs worn smooth by generations, or clackety-clack of toys along the kitchen floor. All those sounds of her failure and regret would be left behind and in their place there would be silence. (3)
In other news, I turned in my resignation letter to my existing job just yesterday, and while I'm excited for my future, it's bittersweet to be leaving the students and my team of instructors and my fellow PCs that I love so much. I'll be drafting an announcement to the instructors and breaking the news to some of my students today, in fact. I see lots of hugging in my near future.

That's what's shaking around here. The weekend will be low key -- catching up on some grading for my online classes and getting those squared away before more madness at work next week.

What are your plans for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik