Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Almost Book Tournament Time!!!

Guess what's great about tomorrow???! It's the first day of the Tournament of Books!!! That's right, folks, March 7th to March 30th is the readerly main event. I've made it a personal challenge to read my way through the 2012 Tournament contenders this year. I was making GREAT headway before I got a new job, and things have pretty much ground to a halt since then. But, I have read some great books thanks to this year's Tournament. These are the ones I have under my belt so far:

  • The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah
  • The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
  • The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  • Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Given, I've missed out on some of the heaviest hitters: The Marriage Plot, The Art of Fielding, and Salvage the Bones remain unread, though I expect any of these books to have a great showing in the Tournament. The Marriage Plot and The Art of Fielding will probably end up pitted against one another in the second round, but either of them could re-emerge in the Zombie Round. Same thing with Salvage the Bones and The Sense of an Ending.

Who's going to take the cake??? Such a hard decision. I think there's a good chance State of Wonder or The Marriage Plot could take it all. We'll just have to see how it unfolds.

Who are you pulling for in the 2012 Tournament of Books? Do you have your author jersey and a platter of potato skins ready?!

10 comments:

  1. 2011 was the first year that I was really good about keeping up on current fiction, so following the TOB will be interesting for me this year. I haven't read enough of the books to make a prediction, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting to as many of these as I possibly can in the next few weeks, which is something that I've not done before. I have already read two of them, and have 3 or 4 others on my plate in the foreseeable future. I can't wait to get to Swanmplandia. I have heard such a mixture of stuff about it. Good luck with this, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not rooting for any book in particular. This year I'm just happy to "watch" and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read The Marriage Plot and wasn't impressed, so it'll be interesting to see if it wins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody, if I hadn't made a concerted effort I don't know that I would've actually had any of them under my belt. After this work fiasco settles down I'll be engaging in "read whatever the hell I want" month.

    Heather, I'm looking forward to any and everything you review from the TOB list (and yes, I'll be back to blog reading soon). :D Can't wait for your thoughts on Swamplandia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natasha, it is fun just to watch. I love reading the judge commentary.

    Les, I haven't gotten to it yet, but I refuse to read it unless it's a library copy. Two holds came in today, so I just need to see what those are and proceed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pulling for The Sisters Brothers, although the odds are against it winning.

    I'm running a Tournament of Books contest on my blog if you're interested in joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read 3 of 'em, so I have no favorites. Although I'm NOT rooting for Sisters Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these books! I am so bad at keeping up with things nowadays..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first year that I have heard of the Tournament of Books (thanks to you). I'm off to check out some of the results now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!