Monday, March 19, 2012

Another Bookslide...

That's right...ever since I've been out of the bloggy loop, the books continue to arrive on my doorstep. Here are the newest additions to my stacks...






The Iguana Tree by Michel Stone for a TLC Book Tour in April. Set amid the perils of illegal border crossings, The Iguana Tree is the suspenseful saga of Lilia and Hector, who separately make their way from Mexico into the United States, seeking work in the Carolinas and a home for their infant daughter. Michel Stone's harrowing novel meticulously examines the obstacles each faces in pursuing a new life: manipulation, rape, and murder in the perilous commerce of border crossings; betrayal by family and friends; exploitation by corrupt officials and rapacious landowners on the U.S. side; and, finally, the inexorable workings of the U.S. justice system.


A Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir by Elena Gorokhova from the lovely and generous Heather at Raging BibliomaniaElena Gorokhova’s A Mountain of Crumbs is the moving story of a Soviet girl who discovers the truths adults are hiding from her and the lies her homeland lives by. Elena’s country is no longer the majestic Russia of literature or the tsars, but a nation struggling to retain its power and its pride. Born with a desire to explore the world beyond her borders, Elena finds her passion in the complexity of the English language—but in the Soviet Union of the 1960s such a passion verges on the subversive. Elena is controlled by the state the same way she is controlled by her mother, a mirror image of her motherland: overbearing, protective, difficult to leave. In the battle between a strong-willed daughter and her authoritarian mother, the daughter, in the end, must break free and leave in order to survive.


Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers. London, winter of 1862, Adelaide McKee, a former prostitute, arrives on the doorstep of veterinarian John Crawford, a man she met once seven years earlier. Their brief meeting produced a child who, until now, had been presumed dead. McKee has learned that the girl lives—but that her life and soul are in mortal peril from a vampiric ghost. But this is no ordinary spirit; the bloodthirsty wraith is none other than John Polidori, the onetime physician to the mad, bad, and dangerous Romantic poet Lord Byron. Both McKee and Crawford have mysterious histories with creatures like Polidori, and their child is a prize the malevolent spirit covets dearly.

So these are the books on the horizon, although, as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself to read anything specific. Any reading is good reading and any reading is better than no reading! All in good time, all in good time. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Iguana Tree right now and so far, I'm enjoying it. I hope you love all of your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound great! I think Hide Me Among the Graves could go either way based on the description. London in the late 1800s is an awesome setting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I know all about the "Any reading is good reading" these days. The Iguana Tree sounds really interesting--and I love the cover. Think I might need to pop over to TLC and see if there are any upcoming tours that I might be able to squeeze in.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Mountain of Crumbs is a really solid memoir, I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad the book arrived safely :) I will also be reading The Iguana Tree very soon, and am rather excited about it. It came highly touted from a friend I really trust. I hope that you enjoy all your new arrivals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New books always seem to find their way to my house, too... I have to admit I like finding them in the mail better than bills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Mountain of Crumbs seems to be a book that everyone's adding to their tbr lists. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of these. I'll look forward to your reviews to let me know if they're worth picking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be happy to read any of these but I think Mountain of Crumbs is the most appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hide Me Among the Graves looks like my type of read! I hadn't heard of it before now but I'm definitely going to check it out at some point. I hope that you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i recieved hide me among the graves recently too, but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. hope you enjoy your latest additions to your bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!