Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Blood Sports Make Me Giggle!

I love me some irreverence, and irreverence is the name of the game in TheTournament of Books. But a reverent irreverence, ya know??? Whatever...I'm posting about it for the second day in a row, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop. I'm so excited, I can barely keep my clothes on.

The opening post for the 2012 Tournament of Books made me giggle in a classroom full of students taking a final exam. It's ok, they're used to me.

Kevin and John -- the Tournament Dudes -- do a little celebratory reminiscing as today is the Tournament opening ceremonies. Kevin, in particular, ponders odd match-ups and doorstop novels (chunksters to the book blogging crowd)...

The doorstop novels have provided us with some of the most enduring narratives and entertaining moments in the tourney. In 2007, the first round pitted Against the Day against the graphic novel Pride of Baghdad. This is how judge Anthony Doerr summed the two up:
Thomas Pynchon’s Against the Day took me 22 days and two international flights to finish. I read Brian Vaughan’s The Pride of Baghdad during lunch. Twice.

On page 108 of The Pride of Baghdad, for example, there is only one word: “Grahhhhh!”
Pages 112 and 113 feature two words: “Nah!” and “Unh!”

There are lots of words on all of the pages of Against the Day. 
And if you don't actually want to visit the website and read the opening post yourself, keep reading here for the setup of tomorrow's Round 1 pairing. Although you're really missing out on some fun times if you don't click on over to the page:

The Rooster kicks off tomorrow with the wonderful Emma Straub choosing between the sedately British Booker Prize winner, Julian Barnes’s Sense of an Ending, and the hyper-violent American debut, Donald Ray Pollock’s The Devil All the Time. Will Barnes show up in a red coat, marching all in a line, ready to be picked off by the upstart rebel? Or will Pollock be undone by Barnes’s Bond-like cool as he monologues his way through his deadly, criminal master plan?

Can’t wait, brother. Let the blood sport commence!

Let the blood sport commence, indeed!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are keeping us updated on all of this, because I haven't gotten around to checking the website yet. I am surprised to find that I actually have almost all of the books in the tournament in my possession, and just have to make the time to read them. Onward I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did click through and read the whole thing, because, hello, irreverence and I are best friends! I was going to quote that very same section about doorstoppers...it cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay now I am up on things. I have subscribed to the feed for the Tournament of Books so I can not miss any of the results. Seems I am a bit behind but better later than never, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!