Saturday, March 17, 2012

Remember Me? I Like Books and Cupcakes.

I bet y'all thought I was eaten by a desert creature in Phoenix, eh??? Not quite.

The new job is off to a rollicking good start. Much to do, much to do. I really like the people I work with, and while it will be challenging to come up with strategies that work with a diverse bunch of ventures, I can't wait to dig in even further than I already have.


But I've posted enough jobby jobness lately, so let's talk about books!!! This weekend will be the first time I've had an opportunity to read for fun in the last several weeks, so I am almost beside myself with joy! What I'll pick up next is the hard part. With far too many obligations on my plate, I'm not trying to hold myself to any sort of plan. Any reading is good reading!

Right now my choice is a toss-up between Paris, My Sweet by Amy Thomas and The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry. They're both wildly different books, so it just depends on what grabs me.

If I were a bettin' woman (which I totally am), I would side with Paris, My Sweet. I've been in something of a confectionery mood. Maybe it's the stress, but I've been obsessed with sweets. Not indulging so much, but lusting after sweets of each and every kind. With this in mind, Chuck and I had lunch next door to The Cupcakery's uptown Dallas location yesterday. Our office is literally right down the street. It was my first trip to The Cupcakery, and it was pure heaven. Of all the great, decadent flavors, I chose "The Wizard" a butterbeer cupcake!!! And it was a-mazing. Butterscotchy, vanilla, cream soda magic. Seriously delicious. When the counter attendant asked if I wanted a to-go box I actually said, "No, I'm just gonna snork this down before I go back to work." Class-ay.


I couldn't find a pic of "The Wizard" but this will likely be my next Cupcakery adventure--the Kir Royale--"moist raspberry cake drenched in a bubbly champagne frosting." Whoa-yeah.  

But back to my bookish discussion...I like sweets. I need lightish reading. Paris, My Sweet sounds like just the ticket.

I've missed you all horribly and will be trying to catch up on some of my blog reading tonight and tomorrow. I hope you're all well and swimming in books!!!

Watch for upcoming posts on the new books that have landed in my house since I logged in last. AND a very impassioned discussion of authors who are using social media to their best advantage with a human touch. :) "Click to buy" need not apply!

28 comments:

  1. Oh man, I want to go to the Cupcakery!! Why would anyone get a to go box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I have NO IDEA!!! Besides the fact that they're kinda cute. But yeah, if I'm buying a single, I'm EATING IT. lol Amazingly beautiful cupcakes and great flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterbeer cupcake? Want. Omg want. (We've started making our own version of Butterbeer at home. So yum.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it was sublime. Seriously ridiculously wonderful. And YAY for butterbeer! Did you get your recipe from Pinterest?

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your new job is going well! I hope you get a lot of fantastic reading done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly!!! I need to stop blog hopping so I can grade some papers and go read, but blogs are like crack to me!!! Ack!

      Delete
  5. That's some serious cupcake-y goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Show me the frosting!!!!

      Delete
  6. I'm on the hold list for Paris, My Sweet - it sounds like such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle, I hope it lives up! It looks fantastic.

      Delete
    2. Champagne frosting? WHAT? I'm having withdrawals because I gave up sweets for Lent. Ugh.

      Delete
    3. Ooohhh, Jenn....that's a great Lent decision. Hard, but good!

      Delete
  7. Yay for jobs and cupcake deliciousness :-) I recently had a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake and it was as good as you think it would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aarti, that sounds positively sublime. I'll be on the lookout for one!

      Delete
  8. We've missed you too :) And OMG the cupcakery sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris!!! And it is amazing. Good atmosphere and great cupcakes.

      Delete
  9. Glad the job is going well, if a bit busy. Paris My Sweet is a really fun read, I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, so far so good! I started it yesterday and while I didn't have tons of time to read, I did start to make pretty good headway. I think it's just the right blend of light and true to satisfy me right now.

      Delete
  10. I definitely need some amazing sweets today. I'm off to add Paris My Sweet to my wishlist!

    Here's my
    Sunday Salon: Spring Break...in the Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it, Deb!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad to see that you are back! I think that blogging breaks are good though sometimes..it always helps me feel refreshed and ready to jump back into blogging :) The cupcakes sound yummy...I have a HUGE sweet tooth myself and can never resist chocolate. I'm looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on whatever book that you choose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, I do agree blogging breaks can be really great. I do feel refreshed and ready to jump back in. And I have some new topics under my belt to discuss! Yay!

      So far I'm reading Paris, My Sweet, and it's just as good for my current mood as I thought it would be. Light, fun, adventurous, and full of sweets!

      Delete
  12. Your cupcakery's flavours are so much more exciting than the ones's we have here!

    I just finished reading Paris, My Sweet over the weekend and it definitely had me craving sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear work is fun -- enjoy your frothing, fun reads. I'm coveting those cupcakes, hardcore, although my local cupcake bakery made a marvelous Guinness stout Irish cream chocolate cupcake for the weekend. Le yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see you back! And man, do I want a cupcake right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually, "eaten by desert creature" was my second thought, after "kidnapped by pirates." Also: where's my cupcake??? I checked my mail, but there was no Wizard there. I'll give you until the end of the week, and then I'm giving the pirates your address.

    Tee hee hee :) It's late, I'm tired, I'm terribly thrilled to hear your voice. Hence the lunacy.

    Back to the subject at hand! Go with the Paris book. It sounds tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A butterbeer cupcake?! I am ten kinds of sold! My sister went to Harry Potter World last December and tasted "real" butterbeer at the theme park, and I was so jealous.

    Paris, My Sweet is in my TBR -- I love books about dessert, what can I say? I've realized I'm all about "foodie fiction" and have been devouring it (pun intended) lately. Have you seen How To Eat A Cupcake by Meg Donohue around? It was a light, tasty read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! Glad to hear you sounding happy and love the pictures of the sweets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!