Monday, April 23, 2012

Shameless Impulse Purchases

It's been a long time since I've bought books with any regularity. With plenty on my stacks and a wishlist eight miles long, the library and I get along just fine on most occasions. 


But. 


You knew there was a but. 


Sometimes, a reader just needs some new material. ESPECIALLY when coming off of a ridiculous slump. Case in point. When I finished reading A Discovery of Witches, which was a very successful foray into paranormal/historical/romance for me, I had to keep the good mojo flowing. 


Drumroll, please!



That's right, kids, I'm going for more historical/sf/romance! My good bloggy buddies (and book group buddies, back in the day) have been trying to get me to try Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, forever. Really, for like 12 years. 

Heather (@capriciousreadr) actually Tweeted the following to me: 

 AND JAMIE. If you don't fall head over heels for Jamie I may have to disown you.

Do you see the threats!?! That's serious business. I'm about 100 pages in, and so far Outlander = total book crack. I'm addicted. And away we go. And I already like Jamie. Even though he's stinky and all taped up from a musket wound...in a time with no indoor plumbing. Ahem!

And I also bought a book I'd never even heard of until I saw its cover and pinned it last week:

I Am An Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran. Behold the blurb.

 In I Am an Executioner, Rajesh Parameswaran introduces us to a cast of heroes—and antiheroes—who spring from his riotous, singular imagination. From the lovesick tiger who narrates the unforgettable opener, “The Infamous Bengal Ming” (he mauls his zookeeper out of affection), to the ex-CompUSA employee who masquerades as a doctor; from a railroad manager in a turn-of-the-century Indian village, to an elephant writing her autobiography; from a woman whose Thanksgiving preparations put her husband to eternal rest, to the newlywed executioner of the title, these characters inhabit a marvelous region between desire and death, playfulness and violence. At once glittering and savage, daring and elegant, here are wholly unforgettable tales where reality loops in Borgesian twists and shines with cinematic exuberance, by an author who promises to dazzle the universe of American fiction.

This one seems like it has just the right amount of humor and morbidity and oddity for me. I like 'em off the wall, and I REALLY like short(ish) stories! I have high hopes. Anyone else read it?

Nosy bookworms want to know: what are your latest impulse purchases?

27 comments:

  1. My latest impulse purchase was probably Impulse by Ellen Hopkins, oddly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Half Price Books this weekend looking for Rebecca and ended up walking out with A Prayer for Owen Meany, Maps and Legends by Michael Chabon and The Reading Promise by Alica Ozma. And then I went to B&N and found a clearance copy of Rebecca... I have a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Kim! Sounds like you got some great books. I love love love Half-Price.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize you'd never read Outlander! It was because of one of those book groups that I read it -- might even be Heather's fault, actually. I absolutely hated the ending and have never read on, but nobody I know has echoed that sentiment and the thing I remember most about reading Outlander is that it was an experience. Well, that and Jamie is truly unforgettable.

    Hmm, no impulse purchases at all, lately! Since Borders went away (sob!) I've hardly been in any bookstores at all -- except in London and that was serious impulse territory. But, I'm sure you saw my post about all the books I bought, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh crap! You hated the ending?! That doesn't bode well. I do like an experience and so far I love Jamie. I'm looking forward to loving him more as the book progresses.

      And that is truly sad re: no impulse purchases. I'm thinking you need to hit up iBooks. :D

      Delete
    2. It's okay. I went to my local indie bookstore, today. I have officially impulse-purchased my book group's next monthly read. It looked easy. Had it appeared to be a more intense read, I would have just chatted with Laura all day. She is one chatty lady, that bookstore owner of ours. I should drop by her store more often.

      Delete
    3. Also, she has two really sweet store cats, Bette Davis and Coco. FUN!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Every time I see you mention that threat, I giggle uncontrollably. :D

    And yes, total book crack. And Jamie? HE JUST GETS BETTER. Gah.

    I love how Nancy is trying to blame it on me! HA! Too funny. She needs to keep reading. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Heather is so right. Jamie is fantastic. SO glad you got Outlander. And if you hear the word "sassenach" after reading it and don't feel totally weak in the knees, there may just be something wrong with you. :)

      Delete
    2. Heather and Jenn, you guys are killing me! I'm about to illegally whip out my phone and start reading at work. Hope the IT gods didn't see that!

      Delete
    3. I tried, Heather!!! I gave it about 5 years to recover from that damned ending that doesn't seem to bother anyone else and tried the next book. I didn't get past page 10.

      It is almost certainly your fault that I read Outlander. At least . . . partially. That old yahoo group or e-group or whatever it was, I recall quite a few people loved Outlander.

      Hello, Andi. I hope you don't mind if I chat with Heather. :)

      Delete
    4. I know you tried my dear. That's all I could ask of you. And I don't blame you really for giving up 10 pages in. Dragonfly in Amber doesn't exactly start where one would think it would. 20 years later was a BIG surprise!

      And yes, The Book Spot; our old Yahoo home. I miss Donna. :(

      And I'm sure Andi don't care. She's smiling, right now. I can tell.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Jamie Frasier. A man to make all other men pale in comparison. You will LOVE Outlander. And Jamie!

    My latest impulse purchase was actually clothes. I discovered ModCloth and fell in love with way too much, especially since I have no idea where I will be working at the end of the year. I guess I'll enjoy my new clothes while I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I just wanna read! I only have about two hours at night (at best, if I stay up a little too late) to read and I want to gulp Outlander whole! So so so good.

      Delete
    2. And I was too quick on the "enter" key. Congrats on the new clothes! I'm a clothes horse, so I totally get it.

      Delete
  6. yeah, I could see falling in love with Jamie...if I wasn't in love with my own man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love libraries to pieces but I do love me some impulse book purchases, too :) So hurray! I'm glad you bought books.

    I had never heard of Outlander until I started working at the library (and then I saw it EVERYWHERE), but I could use some book crack! I just may have to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I'm glad, too. There's nothing like an impulse purchase that TOTALLY pays off and delights. So far, that's how I feel about Outlander.

      Delete
  8. So excited you will be reading Outlander! That is one of my favorite series of all time. Problem is, if you love the first one, you will be addicted, and have to polish off the next 6 or seven right away. It's very engrossing, and Jaime...le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I love love love a good series. And I love chunky historical fiction that is an experience as Nancy said above. So far I'm totally swept away. I love all the little details about the time period and of course I wanna jump Jamie. lol

      Delete
  9. I just recently read Outlander and loved Jamie as well. Like Bookfool mentions, the ending bothered me and I wasn't sure if I'd keep reading, but I picked up Dragonfly in Amber and am enjoying it, so I guess I let go of my issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, THANK YOU!!! I'm not the only one! But, you're obviously better at moving on than I am. :)

      Delete
    2. Lindsey, I'm glad you loved Jamie and Outlander as much as I did! The ending didn't bother me but the beginning of Dragonfly in Amber sure as hell does! Pardon my language. I felt BETRAYED reading the first 75 pages or so. BUT, that said, I'm gonna endure because I know she's cooking up something worth reading.

      Delete
  10. LOL--lately my impulse buys are all for Elle. I still get a book and I can use her as my excuse. Think the last one I picked up is something like I Love You Stinky Pants.

    Outlander. I've been wanting to read the series for SO long but IT is SO long. Big commitment and I stink at series...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE shameless impulse purchases!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!