Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Stuff Week: Coffee Confections

It's "stuff week" again here at the old blog because I have been indulging in lots of stuff that makes me happy lately. Spring has sprung (or is it summer already) and I'm feeling that itch to clean and frolic. So what do I have in store for you today? Goodies, that's what! I'm highlighting some of my favorite indulgences and pleasures this week. No one is paying me. I just like to pretend I'm Oprah sometimes.



I didn't start drinking coffee until the last two years or so. I knew as soon as my mom bought a Keurig, good things were in store. I was positively convinced when she bought Chuck and me our own Keurig a couple of years ago.

Within the last year or so, with a long commute and often sleep-deprived, I do enjoy a cup or two first thing in the morning on the way to work or when I get to the office. Imagine my inward squeals of joy when I saw my new office has TWO industrial-sized Keurigs with a nearly-unlimited amount of K-cups! We always have a stash of standards like Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend and Newman's Extra Bold. But what really flips my switch is when we get a box of specialty blend, as was the case last week when a new flavor came into my life.


*angels sing, caffeine junkies do backflips*

AWE-SOME.

This is a light roast with a distinctively cinnamon roll flavor. I know, I was shocked, too. It does take some prep work to figure out how much cream/sweetener to add. Lemme tell ya, not much! It's a sweet, cinnamony delight, and while I might not want it first thing in the morning, this is one of those coffees I'd love to enjoy in the afternoon. It has that comfort quality to it.

Green Mountain is probably my favorite K-Cup brand in general. I find their coffee smooth, not too bitter or acidic, and generally just right for me. I'm also one of those people that would never be caught dead drinking black coffee. I make it taste less like coffee and more like heaven.

The really important question is: what are your favorite coffees? Any recommendations for me (K-cup or not)? Come on, coffee nuts need to know these things. 

12 comments:

  1. I think I'm gonna invest in one of the smaller Keurigs for my office. We have a community pot for those first eye opening cups in the a.m. but I'd like a tasty cup of decaf after lunch...I favor a latte, Dunkin Donuts coffee beans, and/or a bean called Calico Cat :) I'm not much on sweetener...just a little dab or two in the afternoons. That cinnamon sounds delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely! I think you would love it for the office. Dunkin Donuts does have great coffee. Haven't heard of Calico Cat, but I will investigate!

      Great think about the Keurigs, they have the insert you can put your regular ground coffee into and it's instantly a K-Cup!

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried Keurig though I have been curious about it. I love coffee - breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It doesn't matter. Sometimes I have a cup with every meal. My favorite sweetener is Nestle's French Vanilla. I'm with you on not drinking coffee black. I don't understand the point of drinking black water. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a coffee drinker but I do love my Keurig for tea. My hubby's favorite coffee is Mill Mountain Blend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no taste in coffee, I'm the worst. I will drink anything that's put in front of me and I will nearly always like it. I worry that I have bad taste buds. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Keurig, but I have to admit that even the flavored coffee needs flavored creamer in my opinion. :) I love coffee but not the flavor apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, coffee, great topic. I haven't tried the Keurig. I grind up something bold, usually Starbucks Verona or Sumatra, brew it in my old fashioned drip coffee maker and drink it black. I suppose drinking it black is an acquired taste; it's pretty strong, so you'd definitely want to add some creme to it if black coffee isn't to your liking. If there's real creme around I'll toss some in too but I'm ok either way. The important thing is that I get my coffee every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love flavored coffees as well, but don't own a Keurig. I am particularly fond of Barnie's coffee, but the one in my area closed just a couple of weeks ago, so if I want some really good coffee, I now have to go down to the mall :(

    This cinnamon bun coffee sounds delicious though, and I can imagine that with a touch of cream and sugar it would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a coffee fanatic! I have limited myself to one cup per day now since I am pregnant, but pre pregnancy it was nothing to drink 3-4 cups per day. I can't remember if I have tried the cinnamon roll before but the chocolate donut flavor is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is regular coffee, not K-cup but David Lynch's Signature Blend is THE BEST COFFEE I'VE EVER HAD AND YES IT DESERVES ALL CAPS. :) I think you can get it at Whole Foods. And, snazzily enough, David Lynch is a well-known film director (did Blue Velvet, most notably) from Missoula, Montana - one of my favorite places! Anyhoo, drink some as soon as possible! French press recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss my keurig like crazy but I couldn't afford to keep myself in k-cups, and put it in storage, where gross things happened to it. I'm not sure yet if I want to try to sanitize it or not. I used a little melita one cup filter that goes on top of your mug. It works great, takes up no room, wastes little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love our Keurig. We're actually on our second machine, though. The first started having problems not brewing full cups (or any cup size at all!). The "Prime" indicator came on randomly and after a little Googling, we discovered this is an ongoing problem in the older models. So we called Keurig and they promptly sent us a replacement. GREAT customer service!

    As far as favorite coffees, we love the Newman's Own Special Blend, Green Mountain Nantucket Blend, Donut Shop XBold, Van Houtte French Vanilla and Gloria Jean's Hazelnut. We absolutely love Kona, but it's no longer available. :( I'll have to try the Cinnamon Roll blend. Sounds delicious! And how lucky are you to have a nearly-unlimited supply of K-cups provided at work. That's very generous. I try to limit myself to 2 cups per day and Rod does the same unless it's the weekend. I try not to make an issue out of it, but they aren't cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!